Marquette continues to distribute voter IDs

Despite the United States Supreme Court’s decision to block the implementation of the Wisconsin voter ID law last month, the university will continue to distribute Marquette voter ID cards.

For the Nov. 4 midterm elections, the university distributed 145 voter IDs, according to Rob Mullens, manager of the Alumni Memorial Union’s Union Station.

“Even though (the law) is currently on hold again, we are still distributing during our normal operating hours,” Mullens said.

Mullens said Marquette purchased most of the equipment used to produce university voter IDs after the legislature passed Act 23 in 2011. He added that the cost to print IDs is minimal.

Voter IDs from accredited Wisconsin universities are acceptable under the current law, as long as they contain a date of issuance, student signature, expire within two years and are accompanied by a document proving the student is enrolled in the university.

Ricky Kaufmann, a sophomore in the College of Communication, said he supports the use of voter ID because it helps students from out of state.

“I think it’s a good idea because it encourages a demographic that historically has low turnout (out-of-state students) to come out on election day to vote.”

Since the standard Marquette ID does not comply with these standards, the university is offering voter ID cards for free. Students who wish to register for one of these cards can do so in Union Station Monday through Friday.

“The university determined the most cost-effective way to meet the requirements of the law (not currently in place) was to provide a unique voter ID card,” said Mary Czech-Mrochinski, director of governmental and community affairs in the Office of Public Affairs.

The U.S. Supreme Court has not yet ruled on the constitutionality of the voter identification law. However, the court must decide whether or not to take the case before it can determine the law’s constitutionality.

U.S. district judge Lynn Adelman declared the voter ID law unconstitutional last April, claiming that the legislation violated the Voting Rights Act. The 7th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals reversed her decision in September. The voter ID law remains constitutional until the Supreme Court rules against it.

Election polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Nov. 4 in the AMU and other locations throughout campus.