Gov. Walker takes lead in final Law School Poll

Photo by AP

In this combination of 2014 file photos are Wisconsin Republican Gov. Scott Walker, left, and his Democratic challenger, Mary Burke, at campaign events in Wisconsin. (AP Photo/AP, Scott Bauer and The Journal Times, Scott Anderson)

Republican Gov. Scott Walker extended his lead among likely voters over Democratic challenger Mary Burke in the last Marquette Law Poll before the Nov. 4 election.

Poll Director Charles Franklin announced that Walker has a 50 percent to 43 percent advantage over Burke among likely voters, with a 3 point margin of error. Burke and Walker were tied with 47 percent of likely voters when the previous poll was released two weeks ago.

While polls show important trends, Franklin stressed that “polls don’t vote, people do.” He later stated that voter turnout will likely decide the election.

The race tightens among registered voters with 46 percent to 45 percent advantage for Walker over Burke with a 2.7 point margin of error.

Franklin referenced changes in intention to vote as a factor for the widening gap between Walker and Burke. He said that more Walker supporters plan to vote than Burke supporters.

According to the poll, 93 percent of Republicans are “certain to vote” compared to 82 percent of Democrats. This is an 11 percent gain for Republicans since the last poll.

Although the Supreme Court blocked the implementation of Wisconsin’s Voter ID law, 60 percent of Wisconsin voters still support requiring photo identification to vote.

Franklin ended the presentation by illustrating the partisan divide between Burke and Walker supporters. He displayed a chart that showed large divides between the groups on almost every issue.  The only two issues that both groups agreed on is creating a casino in Kenosha and making first offense drunk driving a criminal misdemeanor

“We end the year as we began it,” Franklin said, “with a sharply divided electorate.”

The Marquette University Law School conducted the latest poll between October 23 and 26, surveying 1,409 registered voters of which 1164 are likely to vote.