Marquette may make its own alcohol policy under new structure

MUSG supports MPD officers having all terrain vehicles. Photo by Xidan Zhang / [email protected]

Marquette would be able to develop its own alcohol enforcement policies directly through the Division of Student Affairs if the university commissioned its own police force, thanks to the new leadership structure announced by University President Michael Lovell Thursday.

Among other changes, the new structure places the Department of Public Safety under Student Affairs.

DPS currently cannot issue citations against students, but it can call the Milwaukee Police Department if it thinks citations are appropriate. With DPS as a police force reporting directly to Student Affairs, Marquette would cut out the middle man and customize its own alcohol enforcement.

“Today, when DPS encounters a student who may need medical care, they would have to sit with that student and wait for MPD to come and pick them up,” Associate General Counsel Doug Smith told the Wire last week. “(Without MPD) we take those students directly to where they need help and get our patrols back on the street.”

Lovell announced last week that he would wait to receive community feedback at the end of October before he decides on the commissioning of a Marquette police force.

Gov. Scott Walker came to campus last April to sign legislation granting Marquette the power to transition DPS into a police force. The legislation, authored by Rep. Dale Kooyenga (R-Brookfield) and State Sen. Alberta Darling (R-River Hills), only gave Marquette the option to commission, leaving the decision up to the university president.

“The mission of DPS focuses on a student-centered approach in collaboration with university and neighborhood stakeholders to maintain the safety of campus,” Lovell said in a university-news brief Thursday. “This will only further emphasize our mission and enhance student engagement.”

Other changes in the leadership structure include the Office of Marketing and Communication and Office of Public Affairs now reporting to Lovell, Information Technology Services now reporting to Interim Provost Margaret Callahan, and the Childcare Center now reporting to Cas Castro, vice president of human resources.

Lovell also announced the university will hire an associate vice president to lead the planning and management of university facilities. The department of facilities services and parking services will now report to the new associate vice president, with the new associate vice president reporting to Chuck Lamb, vice president for finance.