Volleyball splits against Georgetown, Creighton

Photo by Valeria Cardenas/valeria.cardenas@marquette.edu
Photo by Valeria Cardenas/[email protected]

The Marquette women’s volleyball team split its first home conference games, defeating Georgetown 25-18, 25-15, 25-13 and losing to Creighton 29-27, 25-17, 25-27, 25-20. The Golden Eagles are now 3-1 in Big East conference play and 12-4 overall.

Marquette was led by redshirt sophomore Meghan Niemann, who was a ridiculous 10-12 on attack attempts with no errors and four blocks Friday against Georgetown. Sophomore and team leader in kills, Autumn Bailey, also had a strong performance, contributing 11 kills and digs in the Golden Eagles’ three-game sweep of the Hoyas.

Marquette coach Ryan Theis said it was a great way to open up the Al McGuire Center to Big East play.

“It feels great to be home,” Theis said. “(We) got things done and took care of business.”  

Despite Marquette playing five of its last six games on the road, the Golden Eagles managed to win all five of those games. The team won its homecoming match in convincing fashion, as Marquette only trailed once and held Georgetown to a .028 team hitting percentage.

But even with the success of Friday night, Saturday’s matchup against Creighton left more to be desired.

Despite a rowdy home crowd of 1,700, Marquette fell in a tough match against preseason favorite Creighton, snapping the Golden Eagles’ eight-game winning streak.

Marquette held its own against the Bluejays, keeping pace with Creighton until the final points in the first and fourth sets. The Golden Eagles were able to stave off the sweep with a third set victory, but the Bluejays got the better of the Golden Eagles at home.

Bailey again led Marquette with 24 kills and received solid contributions from sophomore Nele Barber and senior Lindsey Gosh, who notched 14 and 10 kills, respectively. Unfortunately, it wasn’t enough to overcome the strong play from Creighton. All but three Bluejays had kills and Creighton out-blocked and out-dug the Golden Eagles.

Theis said his team was never out of the game.

“We’re gonna fight,” Theis said. “(We’re) a good group that way. Not a lot of quit in these guys.”

Marquette will look to start another win streak when it travels to Cincinnati, Ohio, to take on Xavier.