Lt. Col. Allen West visits Marquette College Republicans

Allen West, a Fox News contributor and conservative political commentator, speaks to students and members of the public an event organized by Marquette College Republicans in the Alumni Memorial Ballrooms Monday night. Photo by Cassie Rogala / cassierogala@gmail.com.

Ryan McCarthy

Lt. Col. Allen West addressed the Marquette College Republicans Monday night in the Alumni Memorial Union Monaghan Ballrooms to speak about a flat tax rate, workforce development and President Barack Obama’s foreign policy.

The former representative of Florida’s 22nd Congressional district said he believes the current system of taxation in the United States does not incentivize the general public to start businesses.

“A lot of people up in Washington, D.C. don’t understand that small business owners don’t operate from a corporate business tax rate. Small businesses operate from a personal income tax rate,” West said.

West proposes moving from a progressive tax which takes a greater percentage from higher income brackets to a flat tax where most pay the same rate. He feels that this change will increase economic participation.

“The most important thing is that everyone has to participate. Right now in the United States we have a tax system where only half the ship is rowing,” West said.

The Fox News contributor also spoke about creating a better workforce in order to strengthen America’s economy.

“What has built the United States of America in 237 years unlike any country the world has ever known?” he asked, “It is individual indomitable entrepreneurial spirit.”

West condemned the American education system for forcing students to memorize material for tests rather than learn critical thinking and communication skills. He argued that this approach does not prepare students for jobs in the modern economy.

A key theme of West’s speech was that the Republican Party seeks equality of opportunity while Democrats seek equality of outcome. To West, equality of opportunity means that all Americans have an equal opportunity to succeed.

“Self-esteem is not about waiting around for me to work hard so that you can get your share of prosperity,” West said.

The former congressman is also critical of President Obama’s foreign policy. He wrote on his website last month that “the only plausible explanation for many actions taken by President Obama and his administration is that they are working counter to the security of the United States of America.”

West said he believes the Obama administration’s foreign policy is disastrous and dangerous.

“Instead of siding with Egypt, President Obama sided with Qatar and Turkey,” West said. “Qatar and Turkey are providing financial support to ISIS. Egypt is fighting against the Muslim Brotherhood. Egypt ousted a Muslim Brotherhood government, and the Obama administration is not supporting Egypt.”

When asked during a Q&A session how he would defeat ISIS, West simply responded, “Kill them,” to booming applause.

After the speech, West took pictures and shook hands with attendees.

Chris Lorenz, a freshman in the college of engineering, said he enjoyed West’s speech.

“I think he said it best when he said these years are like Jimmy Carter’s second term. I was overall really impressed,” Lorenz said.

This Wednesday, West will speak at the National Center for Policy Analysis in Dallas as part of the Hatton W. Sumners Distinguished Lecture Series.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Lt. Col. Allen West visits Marquette College Republicans”

1. kindness on September 24th, 2014 12:27 pm

Student Chris Lorenz is an obvious idiot.

2. Hamas_on_StateDept_terror_list on October 29th, 2014 8:15 am

When reason fails, resort to petty name calling.

3. Mart on September 24th, 2014 12:37 pm

Touching that when an Iraqi war criminal says “kill them” as an Iraq/ISIS war policy, he gets booming applause. Wonder if any of those applauding republican college kids ever plan on volunteering to be boots on the ground?

4. Hamas_on_StateDept_terror_list on October 29th, 2014 8:14 am

An “Iraqi war criminal”…?

What are you smoking?

5. Hamas_on_StateDept_terror_list on October 29th, 2014 8:15 am

West is a true patriot and a wonderful role model for America.