Sexual misconduct prevention course required for employees

Marquette+Wire+Stock+Photo.+
Marquette Wire Stock Photo.

In further compliance with Title IX, all Marquette faculty, staff and student employees are required to take an online sexual misconduct prevention training course this fall. 

The training consists of two modules which will be emailed to university employees Sept. 9. The first module describes federal law and university policies to prevent and report incidents of sexual misconduct, while the second addresses workplace discrimination, according to a university news brief.

For the past four years, Marquette implemented several different initiatives geared toward familiarizing campus with issues of sexual misconduct and the effects it can have on the community. Efforts included required freshmen sexual assault prevention training, Title IX compliance, the Safe Zone program and collaboration with community partners, in addition to hosting special speakers and events to raise sexual violence awareness.

Title IX coordinator, the Rev. Daniel Hendrickson, said he believes the new training will get people familiar with the federal and university policies regarding sexual misconduct.

“Sexual assault training has always been mandatory in general workplace harassment at the university on a routine basis,” Hendrickson said. “Title IX law is changing and intensifying in significant ways and the university is responding to federal and state mandates to keep the campus informed about Title IX laws.”

However, Nuri Navarro, a junior in the College of Communication and desk receptionist at Schroeder Hall, said he thinks more can be done with the sexual assault training.

“I think that if Marquette is looking to improve the knowledge about sexual misconduct on campus they should provide the opportunity to all students, not just the student employees,” Navarro said.

Hendrickson said the training will focus on major aspects of Title IX.

“Training will focus on two important aspects of Title IX,” Hendrickson said. “One is to understand what it is and better appreciate the intricacies of the law … the second is to understand that Title IX prescribes the duty to report sexual misconduct crimes to university authorities.”

Hendrickson noted that training emphasizes the national epidemic of sexual misconduct in the college environment.

“My hope is that faculty and staff appreciates the efforts of the university as we continue to evolve in Title IX awareness,” Hendrickson said.

Susannah Bartlow, director of the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center, said she eagerly anticipates the new initiative.

“As a staff and faculty member, I’m excited to see the university is taking steps to address campus sexual assault,” Bartlow said in an email.

Title IX mandates gender equity in the educational system, with regards to pregnant and parenting teens’ rights, gender-based violence and compliance with the Clery Act. The act became law in 1972. The Office of the Provost offers resources for victims of sexual assault and those interested in learning about Title IX.