Women’s soccer gets back in the win column with 1-0-1 weekend

Trib File Photo
Trib File Photo

The Marquette women’s soccer team snapped its three-game losing streak with a come-from-behind win Friday afternoon and tied Colorado College Sunday afternoon for its first undefeated weekend of the season.

Coach Markus Roeders said the weekend was a step in the right direction for the Golden Eagles.

“We came away with a win and a tie, and that was real positive,” Roeders said.

The first half of the New Mexico match continued to show the inexperience of the Marquette squad. The Lobos struck first in the 11th minute, when junior forward Dylann O’Connor dribbled the ball into the box and shot low to the left side. Marquette goalkeeper Amanda Engel dove to try and stop it, but the shot went through. New Mexico carried the 1-0 lead into half.

The Golden Eagles came out and played one of their best halves of the season after the break. Six minutes into the second frame, junior Jacie Jermier drilled a free kick into the back of the net to tie the game at 1. Two minutes later, freshman Eli Beard took a shot from 20 yards out that found the back of the net to give Marquette a 2-1 lead.

Roeders said the goals set the tone for the rest of the half.

“The way we came out in the second half was fantastic,” Roeders said. “We scored those two goals right off the bat … and I think that settled us a little bit.”

Marquette continued to add pressure throughout the second half and spent a majority of the half in the attacking zone. By the time the final whistle had sounded, the Golden Eagles amassed seven shots on goal for the half, including the two goals. The win snapped Marquette’s three-game losing streak.

Roeders said the win helped the team bring energy into the Colorado College match.

“That win was really important for us and I think it really jumpstarted us well into Sunday,” Roeders said.

The Golden Eagles closed out the Colorado College Invitational against the host Tigers Sunday afternoon. The game featured a steady flow of back-and-forth soccer, with both teams getting scoring chances throughout the game. The first half played slightly into Marquette’s favor, as the Golden Eagles outshot Colorado College seven-to-four, but only managed one shot on goal. The two teams headed into the locker rooms after a scoreless first half.

The second half started and the teams continued to wait for the other to make a mistake. At the 65th minute, the game was stopped due to lighting. The lighting delay lasted for 52 minutes.

Roeders was worried the game might be cancelled, as the game was five minutes away from being classified as a “full match.”

“It looked really bad with the weather and everything, but after 45 minutes it was sunny skies and we were able to continue on,” Roeders said.

Once the game resumed, Marquette continued to play the better soccer, but Colorado College edged closer. But the teams played free soccer, as full time expired with the score tied at zero.

In the two 15-minute overtime periods, Marquette did not record a single shot, while Colorado College notched four. However, Engel kept all of them out of the net, and the two teams finished the game tied at zero.

Roeders said even though the team tied, it was good for the team.

“We didn’t score (a goal), but I think it was a real positive step forward,” Roeders said.

With the draw, Marquette moves to 2-3-1, still looking to get above .500. The team has a great shot to do so, when it hosts 1-5-0 Wisconsin-Milwaukee at Valley Fields. The women’s soccer battle for the Milwaukee Cup kicks off at 7 p.m on Sept. 11.

Play now: