Editor says farewell after a hectic year

Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 11.25.40 PMIf you asked me how my time as the Editor-in-Chief of The Marquette Tribune affected me, I would have an endless number of answers.

This position turned me into a better journalist and a stronger leader. It made me eat a lot of pizza, lose countless hours of sleep and skip far too many classes. This job gave me experiences, memories and friendships that will last the rest of my life.

Above all, my tenure at the helm of this 98-year-old publication made me proud.

I’m proud of the thoughtfulness put into this year’s paper. I’m proud of the dedication and growth of all the reporters and editors on staff. I’m even more proud of the patience and positive attitude the staff continued to display during a year of transition in student media.

It’s been a crazy news year plagued by major resignations, layoffs and budget cuts, all under an administration of interims. Along with these issues came the exciting announcements of a new men’s basketball coach and the first layman to ever be elected as university president.

Along with these events came an increase in attention paid to the Tribune by media professionals, bringing a national focus to the quality of work we do at the Tribune.

This attention to our hard work was rewarded when we were named as the Society of Professional Journalists’ Best All-Around Non-Daily Student Newspaper in our region.

This group of student journalists gave more to this newspaper than I have witnessed in all four years at Marquette, and it shows. Even with all the effort they put in, I like to think they got even more out of the experience.

With the start of the next school year comes a new student media model structure. It is one that will take some getting used to, but one that I know will continue to let the students cultivate more than just their journalism skills.

I will leave this university knowing that my successors will continue to strive for and attain the high standard this paper has proven student media is capable of.

What a long strange trip it’s been in the basement of Johnston Hall. Here’s to many more years of successful student journalism at Marquette. Thanks for the wild ride.