Recapping pop culture in the first quarter of 2014

Well the first three months of 2014 are already over. Have you done what you wanted to do? Have you kept your New Year’s resolution? The first three months of the year have had a lot of ups and downs for celebrities. Some have hit their stride, while others have hit rock bottom. Here are some of the winners and losers of 2014 so far.

Winner: Matthew McConaughey
“Alright, Alright, Alright.” Nothing has stopped him this year. McConaughey has won a Golden Globe and Oscar for his role in “The Dallas Buyer’s Club.” Not only has he had a great year during the award season, but he is also such a great guy. Watch his Oscar acceptance speech and decide for yourself.

Loser: Justin Bieber
Well I personally think that he has always been a loser, but 2014 has not treated Bieber well at all. He was pulled over and arrested at the end of January for suspicion of DUI in Miami. Bieber has also dealt with the whole “neighbor egging” incident. And the question of whether or not him and Selena Gomez are dating is driving his “Beliebers” crazy. I think that fame has gotten to his head and he can’t handle it anymore.

Winner: Lena Dunham
The girl is on fire so far this year. Her hit HBO series “Girls” has just finished its third season to very positive critics and was confirmed for a fourth season. She even hosted “Saturday Night Live” and nailed it. Dunham seems very personable so it is hard not to be happy for her success.

Loser: Chris Brown
With everything that Chris Brown has done in the past, it is no surprise that he has ended up in jail. He was sentenced because of getting kicked out of anger management rehab on March 14. He is trying to get out of jail by April 15, so that he can attend another trial that is focused on misdemeanor assault that he is charged with. It looks like Chris Brown has not really grown up much in the last few years.

Winner: Pharrell Williams
His hit song “Happy” has brightened everyone’s mood – it is too catchy not to dance or sing along to. He performed at the Oscars, won a couple of Grammy’s with his group Daft Punk, and created the fashion statement of the year with his infamous hat. Pharrell will be touring throughout the summer, another reason why he made the winner list.

Loser: John Travolta
I don’t think that John Travolta is a loser by any means, but he has not had the greatest start to 2014. His now famous flub of Idina Menzel’s name at the Oscars was replayed and scrutinized for about two weeks following the show. Yes, I feel bad for him, but he was way off with that name and it is still funny.

So far 2014 has started off with a bang and I don’t see it slowing down any time soon. What has been your favorite moment from 2014 so far?