Summerfest has something for everyone

Summerfest has something for everyone

Awhile back, I shared my opinion that Summerfest really needed to do something big to compete with the likes of Coachella, Governor’s Ball, and Hangout Fest, among others. Finally, after much anticipation, we have most of the lineup for Summerfest.

Two years ago, I sat at my computer as the lineup was announced, excited for my first summer in MKE and, more importantly, my first Summerfest. As a self-proclaimed music junkie, it would be the best part of the first summer away from my family. I was not disappointed. I looked at the lineup and went crazy. It was gold. To be very, very honest, this year does not have the same appeal for me. There are no Grounds Headliners that I look at and think, “I have to see them.” Two years ago, I thought that about 6 or 7 in that category. However, don’t get me wrong, Summerfest 2014 is going to be great. The lineup may not be perfect (I’m disappointed to see Interpol left off, but I’ll live), but it’s very, very good.

Most importantly, Summerfest got what I believe to be the biggest festival tour of the year. OutKast will play the Marcus Amphitheater on Sunday, June 29. This is huge. If you listened to music in the early part of the 2000s, you probably love OutKast. Excited would be an absolute understatement. I had my ticket within an hour of them going on sale. It is the most expensive concert ticket I’ve ever purchased and I think it’s a steal.

As for the lineup as a whole, it shows why Summerfest is such an incredible music experience. Every genre is represented as opposed to just alternative, rock, and rap/hip-hop as is the case in most big festivals. Summerfest has everything, from the biggest chart-toppers to up-and-coming, hipster-beloved acts. Bands who have just gotten started and bands some of us thought had stopped playing years ago.

I may not be excited for the entire lineup, but I’m very excited for Summerfest. The lineup, while not great, is very solid (I’d give it a B), but it’s the Summerfest experience that I’m most excited for. I love everything about Summerfest: the music, the atmosphere, the people-watching, and, of course, that it holds an incredibly special place in my heart as the location of my first date with my now best friend. Nothing beats Summerfest. Plus, it’s the best bargain around. If anyone can find a better deal than the 11-day Power Pass, let me know. No matter your taste in music, it promises to be yet another incredible festival experience. I can’t wait.

My Artists to Go See (Alphabetical):
-Atmosphere
-Fitz and the Tantrums
-Kool and The Gang
-Los Lonely Boys
-Matisyahu
-New Order
-OutKast (Marcus Amphitheater)
-Ray LaMontagne
-Taj Mahal Trio
-Yonder Mountain String Band