Women’s lacrosse fall to Black’s alma mater

Photo by Maggie Bean/Marquette Images
Photo by Maggie Bean/Marquette Images

The Marquette women’s lacrosse team fell 12-5 to No. 6 Notre Dame in coach Meredith Black’s return to her alma mater Wednesday night in South Bend.

Before Black became the first ever coach of the Marquette women’s lacrosse program, she was a standout player who led the Fighting Irish to their first NCAA championship game appearance. After a brief stint at Towson, Black returned to South Bend as an assistant coach, where she once again was instrumental in the team reaching the title game three more times.  A year ago, the Golden Eagles season ended at Arrlota Stadium, as the Fighting Irish won 14-5.

“It’s always great to go back to Notre Dame,” Black said. “ We’re getting better, and they’re a really good team, so it’s really exciting.”

In Wednesday’s contest, the Irish jumped out to an early 3-0 lead until freshman Amanda Bochniak scored to cut the deficit to two.  The Irish kept Marquette on its back foot for most of the the first half.  In the first 20 minutes alone, goalie Sarah Priem made six saves on 15 shots. She finished with nine saves on the night. Her play kept Marquette within striking distance, as the Irish took a 5-1 advantage into halftime.

The second half was less than kind to the Golden Eagles, as Notre Dame began the half on a 6-0 run to make the score 11-1.  However, Marquette answered as Bochniak found the back of the cage again to make it 11-2. The Fallson, Md., native would earn her third point on the assist of sophomore Kenzie Brown’s goal late in the game bringing, the freshman’s point total to 21 through eight games.

Boachniak’s goal sparked a rally for the Golden Eagles, as sophomores Hayley Baas and Clare Costanza would each score before Brown’s goal to make the score 11-5. Brown’s goal was her sixth consecutive game finding the back of the cage. The Irish added one more before the final whistle blew to give them the 12-5 victory against Marquette.

The Golden Eagles look for their fourth victory of the year Sunday at noon when they welcome Winthrop to Valley Fields.