Providence benefits from Marquette collapse in double OT

Marquette junior guard Derrick Wilson during the Golden Eagles' game versus the Providence Friars on 1/30/14.
Josh Fortune (#4) contests Derrick Wilson’s (#12) shot attempt. (Photo by Mike Cianciolo)

Marquette could not capitalize in double overtime Tuesday, falling 81-80 to Providence and dropping to 9-8 in the Big East.

Todd Mayo scored 26 points and grabbed 11 rebounds, Jamil Wilson scored 11 with 14 boards, and Davante Gardner had 15 points and 10 rebounds.

Senior Bryce Cotton flirted with a triple-double (25 points, seven rebounds, nine assists), LaDontae Henton scored 20 with 16 rebounds, and Josh Fortune had all 15 of his points after the second half. Providence improves to 10-8 in the Big East.

Marquette shot 34.7 percent, but held a major advantage in several other categories. Its bench outscored Providence’s reserves 57-3, and it held a 21-8 offensive rebound edge, leading to a 14-2 difference in second-chance points.

In the game’s final possession, Mayo missed a jumper with about two seconds left, and Gardner’s put-back try fell short that would have won Marquette the game.

Marquette jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead behind two Chris Otule layups. The Providence trio of Batts, Cotton and Henton would go on to score all of the team’s first half points, mixing back-door cuts and drive-and-kicks to get the job done.

A Batts jumper and a Cotton 3-pointer gave Providence a 16-6 cushion with 12 minutes left, its biggest lead of the half.

Marquette responded with a 9-2 run to cut the deficit to three with seven minutes left, but Henton would score nine of the Friars’ next 11 points to close the half.

The Golden Eagles trailed 29-27 at the break. Gardner led the way with six points, while Otule, Mayo and Jamil Wilson each pitched in five.

Deonte Burton converted on back-to-back and-ones to tie it up at 41 with 12 minutes to go, but two free throws and a three by Cotton put the Friars’ lead back at five.

Josh Fortune scored Providence’s next seven points, including a four-point play in transition that placed Marquette in a 52-41 hole with 8:48 remaining.

Marquette clamped down defensively over the next five minutes, not allowing PC to score. Derrick Wilson’s lone free throw, Gardner’s four foul shots and a three from Mayo got the Golden Eagles to 52-49 with under four minutes to play.

A layup by Gardner knotted the score at 53 with 2:32 left. After a jumper by PC’s Tyler Harris, Mayo made a key three from the wing with 1:48 to go to give Marquette’s its first lead since 4-2.

Fortune again connected on a four-point play with 25.6 remaining to hand the lead right back to Providence, 59-56. Batts found Fortune in the corner even though Batts was guarded by the diminutive Derrick Wilson in the post.

Mayo was fouled while attempting a three on the next possession and made all three free throws to tie the game again.

After Cotton missed a jumper, Gardner heaved and made a 70-footer that was later waved off for coming just barely after the buzzer.

Marquette’s John Dawson made a layup to give Marquette a 64-62 lead in the first overtime. Providence knocked down three unanswered free throws to take a one-point lead with two minutes to go.

Jake Thomas made a 3-pointer to tie it up, and Cotton’s jumper put Providence ahead by two with 47 seconds left. A long ball by Mayo gave Marquette a one-point edge, and Providence’s Carson Desrosiers made one of two foul shots to force a tie at 71.

Mayo clanked his 3-point try the next possession. Jamil Wilson grabbed the rebound in the corner, but time had run out for him to take a shot.

In the second overtime, two free throws by Mayo put Marquette up 80-77 with 27 seconds to go. Henton made a layup the next trip down.

A jump ball off the baseline pass gave possession to Providence. Derrick Wilson got hit with a foul on Cotton as Cotton retrieved the inbounds pass. Cotton made both free throws, and the Friars made the defensive stop on Mayo to secure the win.