Shank Hall promises an array of intimate shows

No, this is not a Hall you will find on Marquette Campus. Specifically, it is at 1434 N. Farwell Ave. on the lower east side of town. Shank Hall has hosted an array of amazing acts over the years since 1989. There is good reason that it was voted “Best Rock Club” in the 2013 Shepherd Express Best of Milwaukee Readers’ Choice Awards. You can easily amuse yourself for quite awhile checking out the wall of all the celebrity black and white autographed photos of the musicians who have performed there.  There are tables with chairs available, but often it is standing room only in this venue. Everyone from Jonathan Richman and Thomas Dolby, to Mathew Sweet and Bow Wow Wow has graced their stage, as well as a number of respected local acts. There is room to dance or cozy up next to the faux fireplace near the bar. This weekend, there is a CD release party on Friday for the band 1,000 Umbrellas. Special guests include Alex Ballard and Matt Meixner. On Sat. March 1, four-piece Scottish band, We Were Promised Jet Packs, will be playing alongside Honeyblood. Both shows on both nights start at 8 p.m.

Always interesting and boasting great variety with their featured performers, Shank is a perfect, intimate place to see a show. The name itself and the mini Stonehenge hanging on the main stage wall are also good goofy nods to the spoof film, “Spinal Tap.” Get there early and get a good seat. Doors open an hour before show time.