Don’t be a lonely heart this Valentine’s Day

Dont be a lonely heart this Valentines Day
Love it or hate it– it is here, my friends. Yes, the dreaded day drenched in red hearts: Feb. 14. There is that overwhelming social pressure to do something– anything at all. Despite everyone’s best intentions, it tends to breed undue stress and disappointment for even the happiest of the coupled-up. Ask the singles how they feel about it, and you will most likely be met with a snarl and a snarky answer. I would like to dedicate this particular installment to the unattached. There does not have to be a stigma attached to it, I say. Here’s some good ideas to be your own best valentine, and treat yourself the way you would like to be treated.
For starters, dine on some of your favorite chow. It doesn’t have to be all junk if you don’t want to feel guilty, either. Get take-out, enjoy a booth for one, or call on your favorite Chinese food delivery service to bring the Moo Goo Gai Pan right to your door. The key is to savor it. And yes, if you’re of age have that glass of wine to go with, I encourage you to treat yourself right.
Sometimes a quiet night alone is all we are really craving, for a little piece of mind. Light some candles, let the tunes play and relax to your heart’s content. Whatever makes you feel good, just indulge yourself for the eve. Read, write, draw, or zone out in a bubble bath. The goal here is to be gentle on yourself. If you feel like it though, why not go out to a movie? I can hear the protests. But I can’t go by myself, that would be mortifying! Relax. I’ve got the perfect place to go. If you’re concerned about feeling like a weirdo sitting by yourself, time it so you go into the theatre just as the lights go down. Then you don’t have to get paranoid that anyone is staring at your solo status.
Celebrate the re-opening of the little Times Cinema and the return of their midnight movies, the “Times After Dark” series. This Friday, they bring us the slasher classic, “My Bloody Valentine.” The Times still has a great concession stand with the option of beer, wine, or cocktails to go with your show. Each month they will have a new theme for their late night flick picks. Keep them in mind in the future for “Student Thursday,” with 10 p.m. showings. If you bring your valid student ID, you are golden for $3 tap beers. As if that weren’t enough, that entitles you to $2 off of any size popcorn. If you don’t feel like staying up, “Monuments Men,” is still playing and well worth a watch. Skip the multiplex, support your resilient little local guy in Washington Heights and go, already.