Rise and shine for Saturday morning yoga

Yoga pants aren’t just meant to be worn for those early morning classes, endless study days in the library or Sunday evenings watching Netflix. Yoga pants were also created to be worn for yoga. Shocking I know. So attend Saturday morning yoga at Lululemon in the Historic Third Ward and put those yoga pants to good use.

For the past two years Lululemon  has offered free yoga on Saturday mornings from 8:30 until 9:30 to promote healthy living. The store brings in various instructors from different yoga studios in Milwaukee to teach the sessions, making each class unique.

The store offers the yoga class for free, no strings attached. You don’t have to sell your soul or subscribe to random and annoying newsletters. With the yoga mats provided courtesy of Lululemon, all you need to bring is yourself and a calming attitude.

Worried about sticking out as a beginner in a class full of professionals? Don’t. The environment is carefree and stress free. Most people are focused on not falling and breathing to notice how well or poorly you look.

Senior Abigail Kolarczyk from the College of Arts and Sciences has been attending Saturday Morning Yoga since the beginning of the Spring semester. After injuring her hip, Kolarczyk began to look for alternative ways to get her work out in.

“I started swimming and I wanted to try yoga too. The only problem is the yoga is typically pretty expensive,” explained Kolarczyk. “When I heard about this free class, I was super excited! Not only is the class free, but you can use their really nice mats for free. Plus, it’s really close to campus.”

Sophomore Kelly Brush from the College of Heath Sciences has also been attending the yoga sessions for the past month. As an exercise physiology major, Brush said she enjoys incorporating what she learns in class and applying it to yoga.

“I go because I love fitness and I love mornings, and Saturday morning yoga incorporates both! Yoga is a perfect time to get out of the gym and work on balance, core strength, and stretching. And it is fun too! I love trying new and different exercise styles and classes,” Brush said.

Some may find 8:30 a.m. to be a little early to be executing the downward dog or balancing the tree pose. I’m sure most people would rather be perfecting the laying-in-bed pose. As a sleep deprived college student with an addiction to caffeine, I understand where you are coming from.

However, for Kolarczyk and Brush, participating in Saturday Morning Yoga jumpstarts their weekend and is a stress reliever. And after attending a session for myself, I would have to agree with them.

“I love starting my weekend in a relaxing way, said Kolarczyk. “It gets me up and going and really sets the tone for the rest of my weekend!”

Brush added, “My favorite part of Saturday morning yoga is getting off campus, forgetting about all the homework I have to do, and taking personal time to relax.”

Even if you’re not a morning person, like myself, don’t let the early time scare you away from joining. Although I feel like I’m cheating on my bed by leaving its comfort at 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday, it felt rejuvenating to stretch my muscles for the first time in months.

Like Kolarczyk, I am working through a knee injury common in runners, which explains my lack of physical activity as of lately. That’s why getting sweaty and feeling the soreness of aching muscles was rewarding.

Besides, each session ends with meditating and Savasana, a relaxing yogi sleep.

While I’m not exactly sure I will make it to every Saturday Morning Yoga class, I will definitely try to come as often as I can.

Namaste.