Women’s Big East Notebook, Feb. 6

St. John’s continues to roll

The Red Storm entered Big East play with a decent 7-4 record, but have won nine out of their last ten games since, including a current eight-game win streak. Since entering conference play, St. John’s beat every team in the Big East except for Providence, and it avenged its five-point defeat at Xavier Jan. 5 by handing the Musketeers a 32-point beatdown at home Jan. 29. If St. John’s can continue its hot streak, the Red Storm should have the No. 1 seed for the Big East Tournament locked up soon enough.

McPherson gets 1,000th Career Point

St. John’s fifth-year senior Eugeneia McPherson notched her 1,000th career point on the second of two free throw shots in the second half against Seton Hall Feb. 1. McPherson became the 20th woman in St. John’s history to reach the 1,000-point plateau. McPherson made seven points in the game and is averaging 8.8 points on the season, but is better known for her shutdown defense. Junior Arlesia Morse of Marquette is the next closest Big East player to the 1,000-point mark, sitting at 961.

wbballnotebook
Photo via fairfaxtimes.com

Coyer led Villanova to a 2-0 week, which catapulted the Wildcats into sole possession of fourth place in the conference. Coyer opened the week at Georgetown, where the sophomore dropped 10 points, brought down four rebounds and dished out two assists. But Coyer really did damage against third-place Creighton. Coyer led the team with 19 points and six assists and shot 50 percent from the field. She will be tested as she and the Wildcats have two road games this week.

Game of the Week – Creighton at DePaul – Sunday Feb. 9, 12 p.m. 

Creighton will face one of its toughest matchups of the season when the team travels to second-place DePaul Sunday afternoon. Creighton lost its No. 2 spot to DePaul after it lost at Villanova, but the Blue Demons have done their part as well. DePaul enters Saturday’s match riding a seven-game win streak.

The Blue Demons have the No. 1 ranked offense, scoring margin, field goal percentage and three-point shooting percentage in the Big East. They also lead the Big East in steals, assists and turnover margin. However, the Bluejays are near the top in almost every defensive category in the Big East. This matchup will come down to whether DePaul’s offense can break the Creighton defense, and on paper, the Blue Demons should.