Under the Milwaukee domes

If you’re like me, this winter has surely been putting you to the test. Rather than go all Jack Torrance, why not switch it up a little?

Hurry down to the Mitchell Park Conservatory, better known as, The Domes– our next best thing to a quick trip to southern Florida. Every Thursday night through April 3, The Domes host their Music Under Glass series, featuring a local band and a mighty impressive light show in the ceiling of the main dome.

You can make it a relatively early night as well, as the programs run from 6:30 until 9 p.m. There is reasonably priced food and beverages for sale. You can stroll through the themed domes at your leisure during a break in the tunes, or if you just need to get up and move around for awhile. If the music is lively enough, dancing in the wood chips is certainly encouraged.

There are three different rooms to explore, each special in its own right. The Desert Dome features many cacti and plant life unique to the arid terrain. The Tropical Dome can really help in building the fantasy that you are on vacation. The temperature and feel mimic a  rainforest paradise, complete with palm trees, beautiful blooms and exotic birds. If you’ve been feeling on the congested side, I swear your sinuses will open right up in this room.

The Floral Show Dome is usually done up in a lovely Japanese garden style, with rotating special events and themes. Currently there is a Victorian G-scale Train Show on display. Other upcoming events include a “Gardens & Gears” Steampunk Faire on February 16. Believe it or not, this hometown landmark has been around since 1898. According to their website, it’s gone through several stages of demolition and construction as its popularity grew. The current glass design that we are now familiar with was completed in 1967, with the light show being introduced in 2008.

There is a student admission available with photo ID for $5. The Domes are located at 524 S. Layton Blvd. in Milwaukee. They are open sevens days a week, year-round. The Domes are a great way to escape the stresses of academic life, and take a short excursion to another world.