‘Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit’ should stay in the shadows

via beyondhollywood.com
via beyondhollywood.com

Special to the Tribune

It feels as though every single spy movie has the same cinematic elements: guns, a smart and sexy male lead, an equally hot love interest, and evil Russians with complicated names who are threatening life as Americans know it. “Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit” is no different, leaving critics no choice but to shamelessly file it as yet another predictable spy movie.

The previous four Jack Ryan movies were adaptations of novels by Tom Clancy, but “Shadow Recruit” is a new, original story about the spy hero.

After serving in Afghanistan, Ryan (Chris Pine) settles down as a broker on Wall Street, where he is secretly searching for patterns in the economy that would possibly indicate terrorist activity. When he notices unusual patterns in Russian finances, he is sent to Moscow by the CIA to investigate.

Thinking he is involved in an affair (although it seems rather extreme to travel to Russia to visit your lover), his beautiful and nosey fiancee Cathy, played by the delightful Keira Knightley, flies out to meet him. Once she arrives, she discovers Ryan’s line of work and is forced to go undercover as well.

Ryan is left to outsmart and outrun evil Russian Viktor Cheverin (Kenneth Branagh, who also directs the film). Cheverin is a clever and cunning villain, using the power of his investments and money to attack America rather than violence. Luckily, Ryan’s mentor, William Harper (Kevin Costner), adds stability and authority to Ryan’s explosive mission.

Following in the footsteps of the greats like Ben Affleck and Harrison Ford (and the sort-of-great Alec Baldwin) isn’t a task taken lightly, but Chris Pine fills the role of Jack Ryan well. Not only is he dashingly handsome, but also brings a fresh intelligence and daringness to the role. It’s a shame the rest of the movie doesn’t have the same effect

The movie has the potential to be a hit with a smart, well-written script, a cast full of talented actors and commentary on some real-life issues. For instance, “Shadow Recruit” plays on the fear of an economic or electronic terrorist attack, rather than a violent one. Cheverin invested millions of dollars into the U.S. economy, and if he were to withdraw his money, the government would collapse, sending the U.S. into another Great Depression.

Unfortunately, the direction of the movie is another story. The cameras zoom, chase and revolve at such speeds that it is sometimes difficult to tell what is going on.

“Wait, who is that? Bad guy or good guy? Which is the one with the suit? No, the other suit.”

This is typical of an action movie. No matter how common it is, speeding cars, shattering glass, thrown punches and fist fights are difficult to keep track of when the camera can’t keep still. Fortunately, Harper helps to clarify the mission’s purpose when the visuals and plot twists get confusing.

Countless spy movies take place in “Axis of Evil” countries, are focused on saving America from certain disaster, star a mid-twenties white male and end happily ever after. If the movie had focused more on the tactical aspects of the mission and less on the action, car chasing and gun shooting, it would have appealed to a much larger audience.

Although the visuals are confusing, the plot is simple and follows the spy action movie algorithm completely. This fourth installment proves that the whole franchise seems to have run its course.  There are only so many ways to hate the Russians, only so many ways to do a car chase. Yes, “Shadow Recruit” is based in post-9/11 America and focuses on the possibility of another financial collapse, but the dynamism ends there.

2.5/5 stars