Christmas in MKE

By Paige Lloyd

Nothing lifts the spirits of students drowning in the stress of final exams more than the excitement of the sights and sounds of the holiday months. For those staying in Milwaukee over break, there are many opportunities for the mature college student to let out their inner kid when this time of year rolls around.

With events occurring daily, there is no shortage of Christmas spirit around downtown and the local parks. The Milwaukee Holiday Lights Festival begins on Nov. 21 and lasts until Jan. 5, 2014. Various Milwaukee locations, like Pere Marquette Park on North Plankinton Avenue, will be adorned with decorations, including “Santa’s Toyland,” which features large versions of favorite toys. The length of West State Street will be decorated with fresh evergreens strung with lights, gleaming brightly for all to enjoy. If hiking around downtown in the chilly weather isn’t your cup of tea, or cocoa in this case, then hop on the Jingle Bus that runs a 40 minute tour through the different parts of the festival for only $1.

Another unique event available to those staying in Milwaukee for the holidays is the comedy show “A Kick in the Dickens,” performed at The Alchemist Theatre, 2569 S. Kinnickinnic Ave. for $17 a ticket. The group of improv actors uses audience suggestions to create a different holiday play every night. There is, of course, the constant use of Christmas clichés and, as the theatre states, “You’ll laugh. You’ll cry. Yule log.”

Whether facing the tundra of Milwaukee and gazing at the bright Christmas displays, or laughing until your gut hurts at an improv show, this city has plenty of spirit to spread to anyone staying in townfor the holiday break.