American Horror Story: Coven Recap [Spoilers]

If you haven’t been watching the current season of American Horror Story, my question for you is why not? I know it has a reputation of being kind of sick and twisted, yes, that is true, but it is also addicting. What can’t these witches do? This week’s episode of American Horror Story featured a murderer from the past, the reviving of the dead and the betrayal of a husband (for the second time!) The episode started out with a flashback to 1919, when a murderer named Axeman was killing young women. The 1919 class of witches in Miss Robicheaux’s Academy for Exceptional Young Ladies knew that the Axeman was going to be in New Orleans and decided to use their powers to protect the innocent people. The witches ambushed him and killed him. He died in the house, which means that his spirit was captured in the house. Freaky, I know.

Flashing back to present day, Zoe (Taissa Farmiga) finds an old ouija board and decides that she needs to know what happened to Madison (Emma Roberts). Madison was killed by the Supreme Witch Fiona (Jessica Lange), but no one knows that Fiona killed her except for Fiona’s trusty butler Spalding (Denis O’Hare.) She gathers the other two witches currently in Miss Robicheaux’s Academy; Queenie ( Gabourey Sidibe) and Nan (Jamie Brewer) to talk to the spirits of the house. They think they are talking to Madison’s spirit, but it is actually Axeman. He wants to be released from the house and he will tell them what happened to Madison.

ahs 2

Zoe steps up to plate and agrees to the plan without the other witches knowing. Zoe finds Madison’s body in the attic, dressed up as a doll. She is shocked that Madison is dead, but she knows who can help her. Misty Day (Lily Rabe) is a witch who’s power is bringing the dead back to life, which she did to herself after being burned alive. Misty helped Zoe bring Kyle (Evan Peters) back to life, which we are all thankful for, and brings Madison back to life as well.

Speaking of Kyle, he is back! Thank God, he returned because we all sure missed him last week. He still can’t talk and has problems controlling his body, but hey, at least he is back in the show. He freaks out on Misty because he thinks she is his mother (who he killed by the way.) Yes I know this show is twisted, but it is so addicting! Kyle returns to the academy with Zoe, which will probably not end up well, but we shall soon see.

The biggest shocker of this week’s episode has to be that Cordelia’s (Sarah Paulson) husband is working for Marie Laveau (Angela Bassett). OK, let’s catch you up on this whole situation. Cordelia is Fiona’s (the head witch) daughter who was recently blinded by a stranger. She was in the hospital recovering while her husband Hank (Josh Hamilton) was having an affair with a lady and he then decided to kill her. Again twisted, I know. Hank knows that Cordelia is a witch and  she is capable of a lot but still decides to go behind her back. He not only does it once but we found out that he does it again and with her biggest enemy! It turns out that Hank has been murdering all of the academy’s prospects for witches. He is doing this because Marie Laveau wants him to so that the academy shuts down completely and the witches leave New Orleans all together. Marie Laveau is a voo-doo queen that is immortal. She has hated the witches for some time now and is trying to evacuate them. She now wants Hank to murder all of the witches in the house and burn it down. Will he betray his wife for the third time? I don’t see why not, but we will have to wait to find out.

Oh and the episode casually ends with Fiona being picked up at a bar by the Axeman, who’s spirit was released by Zoe. This show just keeps getting crazier and crazier. With that crazy, though, comes amazing story lines that get you hooked. If you are not watching this show, you must! I also advise watching the first and second season too. There are different story lines each season, but each is just as addicting. The first season is about a murder house and the second is about an insane asylum. If you are an American Horror Story fan, what do you think of this season of witches?

American Horror Story Coven airs on Wednesdays at 9 pm on FX.