MUSG names new Financial Vice President

MUSG names new Financial Vice President

Marquette Student Government announced at its weekly senate meeting Thursday night, the hiring of Nick Ciccone, a junior in the College of Business Administration, to succeed Cole Johnson as Financial Vice President Nov. 15.

“I was looking for a way to get more involved in MUSG, and being a finance major and being in the business school it seemed like the best job for what I am suited for,” Ciccone said.

Ciccone worked as a receptionist for MUSG the last two years. Johnson, a junior in the College of Business Administration, was involved in the search process and cited Ciccone’s prior knowledge of MUSG as a reason for his hire.

Despite being involved in MUSG for such a significant period of time, Ciccone never worked in the financial office of MUSG. Johnson said this could be both a challenge and an opportunity to his replacement in waiting.

“The challenge is that it will take longer to assimilate him into the (financial) office because there are a lot of things we do in here that are very technical,” Johnson said. “But it also brings an opportunity because it isn’t always best for us to hire internally for everything.”

Ciccone said he wants to increase transparency in the MUSG financial office and increase outreach to student organizations.

“I think there needs to be more transparency just so when organizations do sign up for SOF, students know not only where that money is going but who received this money and how much this organization got compared to that,” Ciccone said. “Outreach is because most of the student funding does not get used.”

Members of MUSG who were not involved in the selection process already expressed their support for the selection of Ciccone.

“I was thoroughly impressed with the candidate they chose,” said Kyle Whelton, Legislative Vice President and senior in the College of Arts & Sciences. “From what I was told, I didn’t see the applications, but I was told we had a pretty competitive pool, and Nick certainly has a lot of experience.”

Whelton said he was excited Ciccone would bring a new perspective to MUSG.

Friday afternoon Whelton appointed Straz Hall Senator Christian Evans to succeed College of Communication Senator Emmaline Jurgena as the chair of the student organizations committee. Evans, a freshman who already serves as a member of that committee, said he is excited to take on the added responsibility of that role.

“In the coming semester, it will be my goal to continue the good work that Senator Jurgena has set in place through outreach and partnership with the student organizations, the administration, and MUSG as a whole,” Evans said.

Jurgena, a sophomore, will be stepping down from her role in MUSG to attend the Les Aspin Center for Government in Washington D.C. MUSG is hoping her senate seat will be filled by an appointee from the College of Communication student council.