DPS warns of increased burglaries

In the wake of six burglaries of unlocked and unattended property since Halloween, the Department of Public Safety is urging students to not be careless about their property when leaving their residences.

DPS’s daily log reported a total loss of $8,248 as a result of the six burglaries. All but one of the residences broken into were unlocked and unsecured, according to the daily log.

Three of the six burglaries took place at off-campus houses. Two more occurred in Campus Town West and one happened at McCormick Hall.

Interim DPS Director Russell Shaw said these burglaries could have been easily prevented.

“It’s becoming a bit of a concern,” Shaw said. “We want to get the word out that kids need to lock up their residences.”

Shaw noted that at some point this problem “could get scary” because “you never know what someone could do once they’re inside your residence.”

Shaw also said he thinks part of the reason students leave their residences unlocked is because they are not concerned that people are going to break into their room for whatever reason.

Jon Kim, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences said leaving the door to your residence unlocked, whether it is in a residence hall or an apartment, is lazy.

“I personally leave my door locked,” Kim said. “I feel more secure that way and I think it’s a good habit to get into. I think leaving the door unlocked is a risk that is taken every time it’s done … Responsibility is a big factor to this issue.”

Shaw agrees and said safety is a shared responsibility and should not be left soley to DPS officers to handle.

With the exception of the burglary at McCormick Hall — which saw a loss of $400 — all of the incidents saw substantial losses of more than $800. The two burglaries at Campus Town West had estimated losses of $2,000.

Blake Dobrich, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, said he believes leaving your property unsecured is like giving it away.

“Unfortunately, not everyone can be trusted,” Dobrich said. “Making it easier for a burglar to enter into your home to steal things by leaving a door unlocked shouldn’t even be a problem. It is one easy step on the way in or on the way out of your apartment.”

Shaw emphasized that students need to put forth the effort to protect their own property.

“I can’t stress enough the importance of reminding each resident to lock their doors,” Shaw said. “Don’t make your residence a crime of opportunity.”