The best songs to set the creepy Halloween mood. Starting with more Halloween dance party, going to the darkest in alternative rock and ending with some classy throwbacks and the undeniably great song, “Monster Mash.”
1. “Heads Will Roll” – The Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Apex remix)
A great remix of this Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ apocalyptic anthem manages to be spooky and danceable at the same time.
2. “Strange Times” – The Black Keys
The duo behind the Black Keys released this track just before striking it big with “Tighten Up.” With the riff-heavy sound and creepy howling vocal from Dan Auerbach, this sounds like the soundtrack to a haunting.
3. “Monster”- Kanye West (featuring Jay-Z, Rick Ross and Nicki Minaj)
Full of now-festive monster jokes and one of Nicki Minaj’s best moments on a killer extended verse. “Monster” still has so much bite.
4. “Wolf Like Me”- TV On the Radio
This song is so infectious. It feels like a full moon and just running wild. Werewolves haven’t been this sexy since Lupin.
5. “Red Right Hand”- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Nick Cave is just one of the best Halloween musicians. He’s the best at an ominous lyric and has more songs about bloody murder than nearly anyone else.
6. “Spooky”- Dusty Springfeild
This is a Halloween classic. Both charming and creepy with Springfield’s smoky voice setting the scene.
7. “Come On-A My House”- Roseanne Clooney
With a great throwback sound, this is the perfect Halloween come-hither song. We here on Marquee think she might mean something other than skittles by “candy.”
8. “Monster Mash” – Bobby “Boris” Pickett
This will always and forever be a great song.