Weekend Watch: Volleyball looks to hold first place, soccer hosts senior nights

Marquette volleyball (15-5, 7-1) vs. Butler (18-5, 5-3), Friday Nov. 1, 6 p.m. CT, Hinkle Fieldhouse

Marquette faces a stiff challenge coming off of a perfect 3-0 weekend and that begins Friday in Indianapolis against Butler. The Bulldogs ripped off an impressive 13-2 non-conference season, and have only fallen to Creighton and Xavier since conference play began. The Golden Eagles cannot take them lightly, especially since Butler beat Creighton at home Oct. 4. Butler sits in fourth place in the conference and is just two games behind first place Marquette. Junior outside hitter Belle Obert leads Butler’s offense with 3.39 kills per set. The Bulldogs boast a potent net defense, with four players averaging more than a block per set. Junior middle blocker Erica Stahl leads that charge with 1.43 blocks per set. Marquette will need to start strong and vary its attack to avoid a road dog fight.
Prediction: Marquette in 4

Marquette volleyball vs. Xavier (15-8, 6-2) Saturday Nov. 2, 6 p.m. CT, Cintas Center

If Marquette survives its test against Butler, the weekend only gets more difficult as second place Xavier looms Saturday night in Cincinnati. The Musketeers proved themselves as an upper-echelon Big East volleyball program, as both of their in conference defeats came at the hands of Creighton. They will face a quick turnaround as well, as cellar dweller DePaul rolls into town Friday night. Xavier has a dynamic freshman outside hitter to counter Marquette’s Autumn Bailey. Hebron, Ky. native Abbey Bessler averages 3.64 kills per set. Senior outside hitter Sarah Brown gives the Musketeers a versatile weapon, as she averages roughly two kills and four digs per set. Marquette’s defense will need to set up opportunities for its powerful offense in this match-up.
Prediction: Marquette in 4

Marquette women’s soccer (15-3-0, 8-0-0) vs. Butler (11-5-2, 4-4-0), Saturday Nov. 2, 5:30 p.m., Valley Fields

Already Big East regular season champions and guaranteed a first-round bye in next week’s conference tournament, Marquette accomplished everything it needed to at this stage. Saturday’s match against Butler is Senior Night, and although this contest would be an appropriate time to see the reserves play some minutes, this will be a night for the veterans to take the spotlight. It won’t be Marquette’s last game of the fall at Valley Fields, though. The Golden Eagles will host the Big East Championship next week, so the seniors will have at least one more hurrah on home turf.

Butler rebounded well in conference play since starting 0-3. The Bulldogs won four of their last five, most recently a 1-0 overtime victory at Creighton. The team is led by sophomore midfielder Sophia Maccagnone, scoring 25 points and three game-winners on the season. The Bulldogs are still trying to hold on to the fourth seed, so this match will still have significance for them. The Marquette seniors, however, will not let the Bulldogs spoil their evening and finish league action with an unblemished 9-0-0 record.
Prediction: Marquette 4-0

Marquette men’s soccer (9-4-2, 5-1-1) vs. Seton Hall (7-7-2, 3-4-0), Saturday Nov. 2, 8:05 p.m., Valley Fields 

Men’s soccer faces Seton Hall this weekend on Senior Night at Valley Fields. The Pirates have not enjoyed much success this season. However, they are coming off a big upset over formerly-ranked Creighton 3-2 at home, while Marquette is coming off its first Big East loss of the year. Despite playing well at home, Seton Hall is a measly 1-5-1 away. Marquette has a 4-2-1 record for both home and away matches, but play relatively better at the Valley and must take advantage of the home field. Offensively, the scoring was non-existent in recent games. Currently on a 201-minute scoring drought, Marquette must take advantage of a Pirates squad that struggles to keep the ball out of the net. This is a great opportunity for the Golden Eagles to gain their scoring confidence back, and with two games remaining before the postseason, this is a must.
Prediction: 2-0 Marquette