Tennis teams compete in ITA Regionals

The men’s and women’s tennis teams competed in the ITA regionals in Columbus, Ohio and Ann Arbor, Mich., respectively last week.

Ali Dawson and Rocio Diaz led the Golden Eagle women with first place finishes. Dawson participated in the Singles A flight and defeated Haley Dikkinga of Northern Illinois 6-1, 6-3. Dawson also played with Diaz in the Doubles A flight. The two had a thrilling final match and claimed the championship with a 8-7 victory.

“I (was) really pleased with our doubles play,” coach Jody Bronson told GoMarquette.com. “We focused and executed everything we had been working on. Ali played at a great level in every match this week.”

The men’s team sent Dan Mamalat and Vukasin Teofanovic to Ohio State to participate in the ITA regionals. Mamalat received the No. 16 overall seed, while Teofanovic went unseeded.

Mamalat battled Strong Kirchheimer from Northwestern and defeated him in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1. In the round of 32 Mamalat went up a set against Mihir Kumar from Northwestern before falling 3-6, 6-3, 6-2. Teofanovic failed to make it out of the round of 64, losing to Vlad Stefan of Michigan 6-2, 6-2. With his loss, Teofanovic went into a consolation match and defeated Shaun Bernstein 6-7, 6-3, 1-0 for an emotional victory.

The two also competed in doubles play and faced the Northwestern duo of Kirchheimer and Alberto Zanotti. Kirchheimer was able to avenge his loss to Mamalat in singles, as the Northwestern pair defeated Marquette 8-6.

The men’s team will participate in the Texas Invitational at University of Texas from Oct. 25-27, while the women’s team will travel to Memphis for the Memphis Collegiate Invite from Nov. 1–3.