Golf has tough outing at the Badger Invitational

Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics.
Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics.

The Marquette golf team had a tough time closing out rounds at the Badger Invitational, finishing 12th in the field of 14 teams.

Windy conditions, with gusts around 20 miles per hour, added to the Golden Eagles’ struggles as they amassed a total score of 901, just one stroke below tournament host and in-state rival Wisconsin.

Freshman Henry Klongland and sophomore Nick Nelson led Marquette, finishing in a tie for 24th place on the individual leaderboard. Both played two solid rounds each, but had one round get away from them. Klongland shot a 72 in the first round and followed it up with a 73, but faltered in the final round with a 79. Nelson sandwiched a second-round 78 between scores of 73 in the first and third rounds.

Sophomore Zach Gaugert matched Klongland and Nelson’s score, but competed as an individual.

Redshirt sophomore CJ Swift finished third for the Golden Eagles in a tie for 44th place, despite having the team’s best start. After a 71 in the first round, he shot a 78 in the second and finished with a 79.

Twentieth-ranked South Carolina dominated the event, concluding with a full 24-stroke lead over Kansas, the runner-up. South Carolina junior Caleb Sturgeon and sophomore Matthew NeSmith finished first and second on the individual board, respectively.

The Golden Eagles have an opportunity to put the rough outing behind them as this weekend they host the Erin Hills Intercollegiate. This weekend Marquette will get another shot against top-tier competition as former NCAA champions No. 30 Oklahoma and No. 3 UCLA will be amongst the field.