Golf tees off with solid third-place finish

Marquette teed off the fall golf season in impressive fashion, tying for third place at the Doc Gimmler Tournament. Redshirt sophomore C.J. Swift led a solid top-to-bottom performance from the Golden Eagles’ five-man lineup.

Swift scored a team-low 208 in three rounds including a stellar 67 in the final round to help the Golden Eagles keep their position on the leaderboard. Freshman Henry Klongland was just as good with a final score of 209 (68-71-70). Only eight strokes separated the number one and five spots for the Golden Eagles.

The field of 14 teams included fellow Big East schools Seton Hall and St. John’s. Yale won the event, Harvard took second and Marquette shared the third spot with Florida Southern.

Overall, Marquette scored a 2-under par 838 as Swift, Klongland and senior Corey Konieczki all finished in the top 20 individually. Konieczki finished third on the team with a 211, sophomore Pat Sanchez came in fourth with a 215 and junior transfer Brandon Cloete rounded out the scores with a 216. Sophomore Nick Nelson also compiled a score of 215 while competing as an individual.

Next up for the Golden Eagles is a trip to Lake Forest, Ill., for the Windon Memorial Classic. The team finished 11th in the classic last year.