Marquette to open second clinic in 707 Building

The newly named Marquette University Medical Clinic, formerly known as the Student Health Service, will expand its services by opening a new location in the 707 building, in addition to the existing space in Schroeder Complex.

Although the name might be changed, the medical services provided at the clinic will be the same, said Keli Wollmer, physician assistant and clinical coordinator for the clinic, in an email.

“After much research and input from students, it was felt that Marquette University Medical Clinic is more representative of who we are and what we offer,” Wollmer said.

Wollmer said the mission statement of the clinic reads: “In support of the Catholic, Jesuit tradition of cura personalis, or care for the whole person, (the clinic) is committed to advancing the overall health and well-being of our students while at the same time supporting their cognitive, emotional, behavioral and social development.”

Wollmer said the new clinic will provide comprehensive health care by offering physical exams, sexually transmitted disease screening and pap smears. The clinic will also evaluate and help manage injuries such as fractures, sprains and strains with on-site X-ray machines. If a student is planning to leave the country, services like immunizations are also available to prepare for those trips.

Along with the medical services, new wellness services will be available to students. The facility in the 707 Building will offer free yoga and meditation classes starting this semester.

Steve Pelrine, a sophomore in the College of Engineering, said he sees the new clinic as useful.

“I never used Student Health Service, but I think it is very important for students to have access to a student health center,” Pelrine said. “It provides basic care in a familiar environment which is very helpful when you are away from home and away from your regular doctor.”

“I would definitely use the medical clinic (if I needed to),” he said. “It’s more convenient than finding an immediate care center or waiting at an emergency room.”

The new satellite clinic will be staffed by the physicians and physician assistants on a rotational basis, and will have a dietitian on staff.