Vacant provost seat to be filled by next semester

The search is underway for a new Provost, slated to be chosen in spring 2014, to fill a position left vacant by John Pauly’s return to teaching duties. The new Provost will be responsible for implementing the changes described in the university’s strategic plan.

“The next Provost will be the clear number two, second only to the President in the leadership structure,” University President the Rev. Scott Pilarz S.J. said in a letter to the university community. “The Provost must be the most important decision maker regarding the budget.”

The combined efforts of search firm Isaacson, Miller; a committee of Marquette staff and the Marquette community are conducting the search.

John Su, chair of the Provost search committee and a professor of English, said his responsibility is to ensure that the selection process is fair and transparent.

“(I’m) making sure that all stakeholders have the opportunity to have input, and student voices will be very important throughout this process,” Su said.

Once the candidates have been chosen, Pilarz will then make a final selection.

In preparation for the search, an “Opportunity and Challenge Profile” was finalized in July. It includes both the Provost job description and Marquette’s strategic plan titled, “Beyond Boundaries: Setting the Course for Marquette’s Future.”

“This plan outlines the need for the Marquette community to embrace new and collaborative methods of teaching, learning, research and service so that students are prepared for lives as change agents and problem-solvers in a world of growing complexity,” the profile states.

Since the provost search is being conducted on a national level, Su said the committee is still focusing on finding suitable candidates. Su said he is hoping to get the campus community involved with all stages of the search and is taking nominations for the role.

“To preserve anonymity, the campus community is invited to send nominations directly to Isaacson, Miller,” Su said. “The campus community will participate again when we bring finalists to campus in January.”

Marquette University has already had a series of opportunities to aid the provost search, including chances to revise the Opportunity and Challenge Profile. According to Su, Marquette University Student Government provided plenty of input.

“The biggest thing we want from a new Provost is a collaborative relationship with students and student government,” said Sam Schultz, MUSG President and a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences. “We started conversations with Provost Pauly regarding changes to advising on campus, and we would love to continue those conversations with (…) the new provost in the future.”

Mark Eppli, a member of the Provost search committee and finance professor at Marquette, is looking for candidate qualities that will further the university’s strong, Jesuit tradition.

“Leadership, mission orientation, self-awareness and global awareness, fiscal discipline and the ability to gracefully communicate fit into our institution,” Eppli said.

Su said he is very excited about the changes that are underway.

“This is a great time to be a student at Marquette, and I bet it will be even greater in the years to come.”