Lockdown at Carroll ends with arrest

Police and sheriff's deputies stand ready  in Waukesha, Wis., Tuesday April 16, 2013, as Caroll University was put on lockdown after a gunman was spotted near the campus. A man was led away in handcuffs from a nearby apartment building and the lockdown was lifted. (AP Photo/ Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Kristyna Wentz-Graff)
Police and sheriff’s deputies stand ready in Waukesha, Wis., Tuesday April 16, 2013, as Caroll University was put on lockdown after a gunman was spotted near the campus. A man was led away in handcuffs from a nearby apartment building and the lockdown was lifted. (AP Photo/ Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Kristyna Wentz-Graff)

The campus of Carroll University, located in Waukesha, was placed under lockdown Tuesday morning after reports of a gunman on campus.

The lockdown ended shortly after noon, with classes resuming and a suspect in custody, according to a release from the university.

“The temporary lockdown of the Carroll University campus has been lifted per instructions from the Waukesha Police Department and the Carroll Campus Safety Department,” the release reads. “Waukesha police have in custody a suspect who was seen on campus earlier today carrying a gun. It is not known at this time what kind of gun it was. Afternoon classes will resume immediately.”

According to text messages sent to students by the university, the man was seen walking near the school’s athletic facilities on Barstow Street.

The three text messages, sent shortly before noon Tuesday, read as follows:

Part one: “There is a report of a male with a firearm walking near the tennis courts and the Barstow Building on Barstow. Remain indoors until further notice.”

Part two: “Update: Remain inside your building, subject described as a male in his 50s, brown jacket, black hat, last seen walking west from Barstow Street toward Grand.”

Part three: “Update 2: Until further notice classes are cancelled if you are not now on campus please do not come to campus. If you are on campus you should remain inside.”