105 MU students busted in MPD raid at Victor’s nightclub

Beer and Hard Mike's Lemonade are propped on a fridge. Photo by Brittany McGrail/ brittany.mcgrail@mu.edu

Beer and Hard Mike’s Lemonade are propped on a fridge. Photo by Brittany McGrail/ brittany.mcgrail@mu.edu

The Milwaukee Police Department caught 105 underage Marquette students at a local nightclub in a raid Thursday night.

The raid on Victor’s, a bar located roughly a mile from campus, occurred at 11:19 p.m. and ended with all but two students cooperating with the officers. One of the students attempted to run through the officers but was stopped and had her information taken. The other student attempted to get through with false identification and was uncooperative with officers when they did not let him. The police also took his information.

MPD called in Marquette’s Department of Public Safety to assist in obtaining information from the students.

“When they ask for our assistance, we will provide it to them,” DPS Captain Russell Shaw said. “There have been some raids, but this is by far the largest involving Marquette students.”

Most of the students were asked to turn over their false forms of identification and provide their Marquette identification numbers. Shaw said it would be up to MPD as to whether the 105 students would be sent citations.

Shaw said some businesses drive buses to Marquette in order to bring students to their establishments and that both DPS and MPD are aware of the practice.

According to DPS’s 2012 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, students caught with a false form of identification can face up to a $500 fine, required participation in a supervised work program or the suspension of their driver’s license. Shaw said students should be cognizant of the repercussions linked to having a fake ID.

“Bottom line is that it is illegal,” Shaw said. “MPD is cracking down on this, and there are many reasons they are doing it. If you have a fake ID, you are probably going to get caught.”

An anonymous freshman in the College of Communication said underage drinking is not something to worry about in comparison to the level of crime already present in Marquette’s neighborhood.

“I do not really understand why this is a priority,” she said. “For example, we got a notification the next night saying there were shots fired right by campus. Clearly there are more important things than college kids drinking.”

Another anonymous freshman in the College of Communication said underage drinking is going to happen no matter the location and that she thought buying alcohol is not the reason students go to bars.

“Underage college kids are going to drink,” she said. “It really does not matter where. If it is not at a bar, it is going to be somewhere else on campus. This is not going to single-handedly stop underage drinking.”

12 Comments

12 Responses to “105 MU students busted in MPD raid at Victor’s nightclub”

1. Asher Heimermann on April 17th, 2013 8:47 am

If these students are caught with a fake ID while part taking in underage drinking, I’d strongly ask for a six month suspension of their driver’s license. Caught again? They should be charged with fraud. It’s only fair. These kids have no right to be drinking until 21. NO RIGHT.

2. Asher Heimermann on April 17th, 2013 8:47 am

3. jim on April 17th, 2013 9:30 am

dumb

4. Guest on April 17th, 2013 11:23 am

Why? Its an arbitrary number

5. disqus_3lmZIswsKA on April 17th, 2013 12:53 pm

These are Marquette students were talking about here. Not some big public school where kids are going out all days of the week. This is the one chance they have to go out and have some fun before returning to their very rigorous course load. If they want to go out to a bar, more power to them. The 21 year old drinking age is ridiculous anyway. You want to suspend their licenses? Fine. I would say most Freshman and Sophomores don’t have cars anyway. So what’s a 6 month suspended license? You OBVIOUSLY did not go to Marquette and have no idea what you’re talking about. If their not drinking at a bar, they’re drinking at some party and as far as saftey goes, they’re better off at a bar. I fully understand that it’s illegal, but in Wisconsin, it’s also illegal to cut a woman’s hair (look it up). It’s a stupid law that needs to change.

6. jeremy on April 17th, 2013 11:21 am

Weird measurement of a mile. Victor’s is at least 1.5 miles.

7. Andrew Goecke on April 17th, 2013 11:52 am

This Asher dude is a fun killer. No body cares about who you think has the right to anything you old ass virgin.

8. Cody on April 17th, 2013 1:00 pm

Like that kid in the article said, there was a drive by shooting ON CAMPUS and MPD is really trying to crack down on fake ID’s? Priorities?

9. lloyd dobler on April 17th, 2013 2:32 pm

Awesome picture of mike’s hard to go with the story.

The greatest defense of a 21+ drinking age is bars like Victors, the Black Rose, Brothers, The Irish Rec Room, etc. which are full of annoying drunk teenagers. The bars on and around Marquette’s Campus that have stepped up their carding efforts are still full of childlike 21 and 22 year olds celebrating a binge-drinking culture. Learn some responsibility. And Victors? Really? Yikes.

10. disqus_xJzwpO5v1U on April 17th, 2013 3:26 pm

The MPD obviously doesn’t think that you’ll stop drinking…they just know that the rest of us would prefer fewer people that binge drink and find this to be a proud moment. Marquette is not necessarily more rigorous than UW-Milwaukee…everything depends not on how much your tuition is but your selected field.

Coming from a someone that has attended both. . .

11. jakesamp on April 17th, 2013 4:31 pm

Marquette University is wasting its time trying to crack down on underage drinking. We live in Milwaukee, students that want to drink will get their hands on alcohol if they wish too. Generally speaking, people only drink Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
    Marquette is overstepping its grounds by actively pursuing those who underage drink, even if they are doing so in a non-abusive way. It should only be Marquette’s job to step in and take action when someone is clearly acting inappropriately or abusing alcohol.
    Furthermore, Marquette cracking down on drinking may even raise the rates of underage drinking. Marquette could be adding to the excitement of underage drinking by making it a more ‘daring’ experience for those who do it.
    Marquette students do not pay 45,000 dollars to be babysat. Marquette must stop trying to catch students. Our parents are supposed to try and catch us, not over glorified mall cops. As a student body we can make our own decisions on what to do with our weekends.

12. deadhead103 on October 28th, 2016 12:51 pm

My nephew called me last night and said there was a stampede at the bar when the police came, he had very badly bruised leg as a result. Why was this not reported? Why do the police find this a priority? What a joke….

• 105 MU students busted in MPD raid at Victor’s nightclub

David Archambault visits Marquette during Mission Week

Heather Hathaway named acting dean of the College of Arts & Sciences

McCormick work being done

O’Hear named new chair of MUPD advisory board

Board of Trustees approves six new programs

Marquette for Life receives grant to further work on campus

Minority Issues

LGBTQ+ resource center hires new assistant director

Marquette cybersecurity specialization catches national attention

• News

Marquette will hire up to nine new faculty members this academic year, Race and Ethnic Studies program

MU hosts inaugural Leadership and Brotherhood Summit for young men of color