Ice cold Marquette falls to Syracuse 55-39

Vander Blue finished with 14 points on 3-of-15 shooting.  Photo by Danny Alfonzo/ daniel.alfonzo@mu.edu
Vander Blue finished with 14 points on 3-of-15 shooting. Photo by Danny Alfonzo/ [email protected]

Poor shooting doomed No. 3 seed Marquette Saturday as it fell to conference foe and fourth-seeded Syracuse 55-39 in the Elite Eight in Washington, D.C.

James Southerland scored 16 points and Michael Carter-Williams added 12 points, 11 rebounds and five assists for the Orange, who made their fifth Final Four in school history. Vander Blue and Davante Gardner each scored 14 points for the Golden Eagles, who finished out the season 26-9.

Marquette shot 22 percent from the field, making just 12 field goals all game. They shot an abysmal 12 percent (3-of-25) from beyond the arc. Blue especially struggled, going 3-of-15 from the field and 2-of-9 from three.

“They beat us from start to finish,” Marquette coach Buzz Williams said.

Marquette fell behind early in the game, and scored just seven points in the game’s first ten minutes. But a shift to a bigger lineup, with both Gardner and Chris Otule on the floor, sparked Gardner offensively, and the Golden Eagles trailed 24-18 at the half.

But Syracuse started the second half well, and Marquette abandoned paint touches once the lead started to swell. Three-point shots became the Golden Eagles’ offense, and the misses stacked up.

Gardner and Blue, along with three other Syracuse players, was named to the East Region all-tournament team. Carter-Williams was the region’s most outstanding player.

Syracuse next faces Michigan Saturday in Atlanta.