Wehr Chemistry evacuated after chemical leak

A Department of Public Safety officer stands outside the Wehr Chemistry building after it was evacuated around 11 a.m. Friday. Photo by Danny Alfonzo/ daniel.alfonzo@mu.edu
A Department of Public Safety officer stands outside the Wehr Chemistry building after it was evacuated around 11 a.m. Friday. Photo by Danny Alfonzo/ [email protected]

The Wehr Chemistry building was evacuated around 11 a.m. Friday morning after a chemical was discovered to be leaking, university spokespeople and student witnesses said.

Senior Director of University Communication Brian Dorrington said the building was evacuated as a precaution and that classes would resume at 1 p.m. An email sent shortly before noon to students scheduled to attend noon classes in the building informed them that classes were cancelled.

“A harmless chemical was left open and the building is being cleared for ventilation for the time being,” read the email, sent by the Office of the Registrar. “There is no safety risk. Because of this, noon classes are canceled.”

Students, who were already being allowed back into the building around noon, said there was a noticeable odor in the hallways.

The specific chemical leaked could not yet be confirmed, said Andrew Brodzeller, an associate director of university communication.

“Marquette’s Department of Public Safety and the Environmental Health and Safety unit have verified the chemical left open was harmless,” Brodzeller said in an email. “Additional details of the incident will not be available until DPS and the Environmental Health and Safety unit have completed their report.”