MUSG primary election to be rerun Thursday due to technical issues

The Marquette Student Government primary election for president and vice president will have to be rerun following problems in the online voting system. The new primary election will be run over a 24-hour period beginning at 4 p.m. on Thursday. The debate that was scheduled for that night has been moved to Sunday. The general election will continue as planned on Tuesday.

Two problems affected MUSG’s confidence in the results according to Election Coordinator David Kuester, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences. First, students who were listed as @mu.edu rather than @marquette.edu in the Marquette Involvement Link System were unable to vote. This problem was discovered almost immediately and corrected within an hour after recognition. The second problem was that students were able to vote for multiple tickets on the same ballot, which should not have been allowed.

All problems with voting have been attributed to a set-up error in the Marquette Involvement Link System and have been rectified for the upcoming rerun of the primary and the general election on Tuesday.

Student government elections have required a rerun in the past. The last time was in 2004, when a technical error in file locking required the election to be rerun using paper ballots. This year’s election will be rerun online now that problems have been fixed.

No member of MUSG or the elections committee viewed the flawed results from yesterday’s election.

This is the first spring election in which the Marquette Involvement Link System was used.

Candidates will be allowed to continue campaigning, but no additional resources will be granted to the tickets.