Breaking down Marquette’s tournament draw

Photo by Rebecca Rebholz/ rebecca.rebholz@mu.edu
Photo by Rebecca Rebholz/ [email protected]

The Union Sports Annex buzzed in anticipation. Greg Gumbel had yet to read Marquette’s name, but he had revealed six of the eight No. 4 and 5 seeds. Would the NCAA tournament selection committee really place the Golden Eagles and Wisconsin in the same bracket, given that both were projected as No. 4 or 5 seeds?

Right as that possibility crossed the minds of many in the restaurant, Gumbel revealed the biggest surprise of all. Marquette received a No. 3 seed and will face No. 14 Davidson Thursday afternoon at 2:10 p.m. in Lexington, Ky.

When asked whether he thought his team would get a No. 3 seed, it didn’t take Marquette coach Buzz Williams long to answer back, “no.”

However, he did feel the Golden Eagles earned their seed, particularly because they played a difficult pre-conference schedule.

“I think it’s deserved,” Williams said. “The committee is much more aware and paying attention to out-of-conference scheduling. In our tenure here, each year we’ve become more accountable to that.”

While the team was still celebrating its unexpected seeding, the name of its first opponent flashed across the screen. The Davidson Wildcats (26-7, 17-1) won the Southern Conference Tournament Championship last Monday and boast the nation’s longest active winning streak after ripping off 17 straight victories.

Williams said he respects Davidson Coach Bob McKillop and his past success in the NCAA tournament.

“Bob McKillop is one of the top 10 coaches in the country,” Williams said. “He has always been very kind to me.”

In his 24th season at Davidson, McKillop may have his best team since 2007-08, when a squad led by current Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry made it to the Elite Eight. The Wildcats last lost at Georgia Southern on Jan. 14.

“It’s going to be a tough matchup,” senior guard Junior Cadougan said. “They’re just like Notre Dame. They cut real hard, and they’re fast in transition.”

Senior forward Jake Cohen leads Davidson with 14.8 points and 5.5 rebounds per game. Junior forward De’mon Brooks nearly matches Cohen with 13.8 points and 6.2 rebounds per game of his own.

Davidson excels at shooting from long distance. While it shoots just 36 percent as a team, it has five players who have made at least 25 three-pointers on the season. Senior guard Nik Cochran shoots a whopping 48.5 percent from beyond the arc.

The Wildcats use their three-point shots to rank in the top 50 in the nation in offensive efficiency. The comparisons to Notre Dame include the downsides as well, as Davidson doesn’t turn its opponents over. It ranks No. 225 in the country in turnover percentage defense.

If Marquette defeats Davidson, one of two intriguing mid-major matchups awaits. Butler and Bucknell will face off for the chance to play the Golden Eagles or Wildcats in Saturday’s third round.

The intrigue of the Butler matchup goes without saying. Not only is Butler known for its runs to the national championship game in 2010 and 2011, but Marquette and Butler met in the Maui Invitational in November. Butler won that game 72-71 after Butler guard Rotnei Clarke made an improbable falling three-pointer at the buzzer.

Bucknell raises eyebrows because of its All-American-caliber big man, Mike Muscala. The senior center is the school’s all-time leading scorer. In 2012-13, Muscala averaged 19 points and 11.2 rebounds per game. His talent and size makes Bucknell a difficult matchup for any tournament team.

Marquette will be expected to win both games. With back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances under their belts, the Golden Eagles will hope to advance even further this year.

“The pressure has mounted more,” Jamil Wilson said. “We just have to handle it the right way, playing as a team.”