Marquette Literary Review accepting submissions for fifth issue

All students interested in writing nonfiction, fiction and poetry will have the opportunity to have their work published in the Marquette Literary Review, as the student-led publication is now accepting submissions for consideration.

First published in 2009, the Review was created to satisfy multiple needs. Angela Sorby, the faculty adviser of the Review, said students in the College of Arts & Sciences were interested in creating a literary magazine, while others were looking for publishing internships. It was decided that the new literary magazine would be run through the college with an internship offered to the general editor.

“The idea was, though, that it would be completely student run,” Sorby said.

The Review, which will be publishing its fifth annual edition later this semester, remains perhaps the best kept secret on the Marquette campus, Sorby said.

“People just don’t know its there,” she said.

The editorial board is working to raise the Review’s profile on campus by notifying English classes and posting signs in dormitories.

“Right now it’s been mostly English majors who have contributed to it,” said Brian Keogh, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences and this year’s general editor. “I know from going to Writing Society meetings that there are a lot of other people who are involved in some kind of creative writing, and I would like to see all those people be able to get published and get their work out for everyone to read.”

Keogh, who had never been affiliated with the Review before signing on as general editor, works with Kathleen Murphy, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences serving as editor of poetry, and Jahnavi Acharya, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences serving as editor of prose.

Works are selected from student submissions, all of which are reviewed by the editorial board. Each one is judged to determine its merit for publication. It is the responsibility of the editors to select around 15 pieces from the anticipated 70 to 80 submissions.

“We really just look for the best stuff,” said Keogh. “We look for what’s constructed the best, most well-written and well-thought out.”

Those who are familiar with the Review say they love having a creative outlet on campus where they can have their work read by their peers.

“Being a student writer and having other students read what I come up with is kind of nice,” said Charlie Mohl, a senior in the College of Communication who was published in the Review last year.

The editorial staff said it hopes it can raise the profile of the Review even more next year when its publication doubles to twice a year.

“I think going to twice a year will be better,” said Sorby. “It will give more students a chance to hold the internship position. I think it will give more students a chance to participate as editors and writers. That should help.”