Campus thanks donors as ‘Tuition Runs Out’

Marquette IMC Photo
Marquette IMC Photo

Scholarships, grants and awards — where does the money come from? The Office of University Advancement and Marquette Nation will host “Tuition Runs Out Day” today from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the AMU second floor lobby to answer that question. All students who received financial aid from Marquette are encouraged to stop by the event and show their appreciation to donors by signing thank you cards.

Jennilee Schlinsky, a senior engagement officer in the Office of University Advancement, said this is the event’s second year.

“Last year, countless students viewed our educational pieces throughout campus, which started a conversation on the impact Marquette alumni and donors have on our university,” she said.

In its first year more than 600 students participated in the program.

“There will be one thank you card station … and we will also have signs throughout campus displaying information about giving at Marquette,” Schlinsky said. “These displays will provide information on the impact giving has on campus and direct students to the AMU to sign a thank you card.”

Last year, the university received responses from various alumni and donors about the cards students sent them.

“One alumna told us that she was so thankful to receive the hand-written thank you card from a student, it had moved her to tears,” Schlinsky said.

Schlinsky said tuition covers only 62 percent of the cost of a Marquette education, and 98 percent of Marquette undergraduates receive financial aid.

“I wouldn’t be able to go to Marquette without the scholarships I received,” said Claire Hackett, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences. “I am so appreciative of the full-paid tuition scholarship and grants I received.”

Her mother has worked at Marquette for more than 25 years, and Hackett received a full-tuition financial aid package because of it.

“I hope someday I am able to give back to Marquette for the education I received,” she said.

Nearly 27,000 alumni donate to the university each year, and more than $100 million in scholarships and grants were provided for students in 2012.

Madeline Kudlata, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, received a scholarship based on her extracurricular activities, even though her test scores and grades were not the highest.

“I really don’t know of many universities that provide extra activity scholarships,” she said. “It’s pretty remarkable, actually.”

Kudlata liked how Marquette looked at her entire application for eligibility for financial aid, not just her high school transcript.

“I think a student should be well-rounded,” she said. “And for me, Marquette saw that I am well-rounded and motivated.”

Schlinsky said donor support plays an important role in sustaining the university and the education of students.

“It is pivotal for students to show their appreciation to our donors,” she said. “It is also important for students to educate themselves on important financial facts.”

Schlinsky said this day represents the time when tuition dollars stop covering the cost of a Marquette education and the support of alumni, parents and friends covers the rest.