Marquette Women’s Basketball: Morse impressive early in the season

Sophomore guard Arlesia Morse scored 16 points in the season opener against Butler on Saturday. Photo by Danny Alfonzo/[email protected]

Sophomore guard Arlesia Morse has turned some heads with her recent performances, but she isn’t looking for recognition.

Morse has averaged 15.0 points per game on 50 percent shooting in her first three contests, including 16 in the regular season opener against Butler on Saturady.  The Flint, Mich., native was named to the Big East All-Freshman team last season after averaging 11.2 points per game, but she would like to get the team on a winning track before thinking of her accolades.

“I’m just expecting the best,” Morse said. “Even if I don’t make the Big East-anything, I at least want my team to have a winning season, go to the NCAA Tournament. I just have high expectations for not just myself, but for everybody else.”

Coach Terri Mitchell has been impressed with Morse, who shot just 36.6 percent from the floor in her freshman year despite her solid scoring.

“I think what she brings to the table is her versatility and scoring,” Mitchell said. “She can go to the hoop, she can pull up, or she can shoot the three. When you have that and you’ve worked on it, that makes you someone who can score.”

Mitchell has given Morse what she calls the “green light” on offense because of her decision making and ability to make shots. In order for her to retain that green light, she has to be sure to remain dedicated in practice.

“She has to be in the gym constantly stroking her shot,” Mitchell said. “She has to understand what’s the best shot for the team.”

Junior forward Katherine Plouffe thinks of Morse as an upperclassman based on the playing time she had last season, and she would like to see Morse use this to her advantage. Plouffe said Morse’s job will become increasingly difficult as the team squares off with challenging teams, but she hopes she’ll overcome that.

“She’s really been working on her shooting and ball handling, so the rest of the team is looking for her to be consistent with that,” Plouffe said. “We’re going to look at her to be that consistent shooter and consistent ball handler if we need her to be. She’s really stepping up there.”

Morse didn’t experiment too much at the point guard position last season, but this time around, she should have more chances to bring the ball up the floor because Mitchell is trying to making all the backcourt players proficient at both point and shooting guard.

“Being able to run a team and also scoring and getting everyone involved are some things I actually struggled with last year, but I have everyone on the coaching staff who’s helping me to get better with those things,” Morse said. “I can play point guard, I can be a combo guard. Whatever they ask me to play, I’ll be able to play it.”

The casual fan overlooks the job of a backcourt player and the difficulties she has to face. Mitchell said ball control is one of the most underrated aspects of a guard’s game and that Morse should take time while the season is young to clear any imperfections in that.

“You have to master the ball handling so that it never becomes an issue and (so you can have) the ability to set your teammates up,” Mitchell said. “Until they have the ball in their hand and until they have somebody all over them, they won’t understand the pressure that a ball handler feels.”