Live-blogging the vice-presidential debate

Photo by ASSOCIATED PRESS

Follow along live as our District 4 political writers live-blog tonight’s vice-presidential debate between Vice President Joe Biden and U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI).

9:47 pm – Joe Kaiser

CNBC poll results on who won debate: Ryan: 56%, Biden: 36%, Neither: 8%

9:36 pm – Joe Kaiser

ABC News and Yahoo Live Stream post debate analysis not only mentions Biden’s body language immediately, but also Ryan taking sips of water.

They ask the question: ‘Did Biden perhaps try to over correct Obama’s performance (from last week)?’

Thoughts?

9:34 pm – Joe Kaiser

Biden’s closing statement focuses on 47 percent comment. Ryan goes with the ‘time to make a change’ theme. Biden more emotional, Ryan more calm. Thoughts on which message, style won?

9:26 pm – Alec Brooks

Ryan’s bringing it all together under the topic of the national debt. Definitely a strong point for him, as the star of the House budget committee, but will viewers agree that it’s the defining issue?

9:26 pm – Joe Kaiser

With the ‘malarky’ count halted at three mentions, I wish I had kept better track of how many times Biden called Ryan and/or Romney his ‘friend.’ Do they hang out?

9:20 pm – Alec Brooks

Biden tries to tie Ryan to Akin’s “legitimate rape” comment. Romney has repudiated Akin’s remarks.

9:14 pm – Alec Brooks

Fact-check: Neither Obama nor his administration referred to Assad as a “reformer,” according to ABC News 4. Bashar Assad, by the way, is the current president of Syria.

9:09 pm – Joe Kaiser

Whether laughing or slightly shouting, Biden’s emotions and body language could end up being a huge takeaway from this debate.

9:06 pm – Joe Kaiser

Biden getting tough with Raddatz: “You get a little straight with me too.”

9:06 pm – Alec Brooks

Good bye, Laughing Biden. Hello, Angry Biden.

9:03 pm – Alec Brooks

Ryan’s saying his lack of specifics on when he would leave Afghanistan is a way of not broadcasting the U.S.’s strategy to “our enemies.” Biden counters, “that’s a bizarre statement.”

8:55 pm – Alec Brooks

A lot of “math” tonight, to quote Raddatz.

8:51 pm – Alec Brooks

Like many things politicians say, Obama and Biden’s repeated claim that Ryan-Romney would “voucherize” Medicare is only partially true. People currently in Medicare wouldn’t be affected, but those entering after 2022 could choose between a voucher plan and something similar to what we have now. The biggest change is that Medicare as we know it now may or may not be funded by the money from vouchers. Some people now on Medicaid (not Medicare) now would see reduced benefits.

8:51 pm – Joe Kaiser

You would think Ryan and/or Martha Raddatz are doing stand-up with all the laughter coming from Biden. At least the vice president is having a good time.

8:44 pm – Alec Brooks

Interesting how Ryan talks about politicians as though he weren’t one.

8:43 pm – Joe Kaiser

Biden is just as aggressive as expected. The only question I have is what will be the perception from analysts: Powerful, dominating and on the attack? Or too much interrupting, laughing and appearing rude?

8:40 pm – Joe Kaiser

Ryan to Biden: “Mr. Vice President, I know you are under a lot of duress trying to make up for lost ground…”

8:39 pm – Alec Brooks

Biden is attacking like Obama should have last week. He’s not afraid to interrupt Ryan.

8:36 pm – Alec Brooks

The debate takes a serious turn as Ryan recounts a serious story about Medicare. No chuckling from Biden.

8:29 pm – Joe Kaiser

Ryan to Biden: “Sometimes the words don’t come out of your mouth the right way.”

Biden’s rebuttal (laughing): “But I always mean it.”

8:27 pm – Joe Kaiser

Biden mentioning Romney’s tax returns and 47 percent comment in same answer made for a powerful soundbite, but his body language during Ryan’s rebuttal, as well as his interruption, could steal tomorrow morning’s headlines.

8:20 pm – Joe Kaiser

‘Malarky’ count is up to three.

8:17 pm – Joe Kaiser

Considering the negative feedback Obama received for his body language during last week’s debate, it is surprising to see Biden laugh during almost all of Ryan’s answers.

8:15 pm – Joe Kaiser

The Republican Party has a trend of picking younger vice presidential candidates. This is the third time since 1988 that the Democratic VP candidate has been at least two decades older than the Republican VP candidate (other two years being 1988 and 2008).

8:11 pm – Joe Kaiser

This is the second time in as many weeks that Biden has used the ‘word’ malarky, making it the first two times anyone has ever actually heard the word used in a sentence.

• M

Middle class AmericanOct 11, 2012 at 11:20 pm

As an independent, I was concerned about Mr. Ryan’s views before the debate. No longer.
    Mr. Biden’s conduct showed ill manners, contemp toward Mr. Ryant, and disreguard for the rules of debate.
    Mr. Ryan remained respectful and did not seek to belittle his opponent. He remained on topic.
    Mr. Biden’s emphasis on reprocessing the same old messages over and over again instead of offering new insight or solutions seemed to show an inability to actively debate the issues. The solutions provided by the current administration haven’t helped any middle class Americans that I know (underemployment or unemployment).
    More of the same “change” and more of borrowing and spending money you don’t have isn’t the way for our nation to go.

• J

JamesOct 11, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Biden wins.