Brewers: Brewers sponsor first annual half-marathon PS1 AB2 MT3

The Milwaukee Brewers will host its first “Brewers Mini Marathon” this Saturday to benefit the Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer Fund.

“The opportunity to help an organization that is dedicated to making the lives of children better should be important to everyone,” Jason Hartlund, vice president of Brewers Enterprises and special events, said.

“Five thousand runners will be taking a route that highlights some great Milwaukee landmarks, both big and small,” Hartlund said.

The 13.1-mile half-marathon will begin and end at the Miller Park stadium, leading participants through the Menomonee Valley and past the Harley-Davidson Museum and the Mitchell Park Domes, Hartlund said. Participants will also be able to run on the warning track inside the stadium.

Hartlund said what makes this half-marathon different from other events is the planned post-race tailgate party in the Miller Park parking lots. Participants will also be able to enjoy live musical performances throughout the race.

Jamie Overman, a graduate student at Marquette, will run in the event with Team Paxton. Team Paxton is a group formed to honor Paxton Bowe Andrews, who died of cancer 10 days before his fifth month birthday in July.

“Being a part of the Marquette community makes you more aware of people in need,” Overman said. “Helping others opened my perspective to what’s going on outside my world.”

The Team Paxton Non-Profit Association helps raise money for the MACC Fund through various events, including the Brewers Mini Marathon.

“We’re grateful to everyone who gets involved with the MACC Fund,” John Cary, executive director for the MACC Fund said. “(Team Paxton) is creating a legacy to memorialize that special little guy.”

Hartlund said Brewers Enterprises hopes to get different neighborhoods across the Milwaukee area involved.

“A race of this nature takes over 600 volunteers, and it gives those who do not want to run 13.1 miles the opportunity to still take part in the experience and feel some ownership of the event,” Hartlund said. “We hope that (from) year to year we can grow our event to get the different areas and neighborhoods along the route more involved.”

Cary said he hopes this event brings to light the struggle children with cancer and their families face.

“We’ve had a relationship with the Brewers for 36 years, since the MACC Fund started,” Cary said. “It’s a wonderful opportunity to increase the awareness of the MACC Fund.”