Marquette Tennis Brief: Milwaukee Tennis Classic

The Marquette tennis teams finished up play in the Milwaukee Tennis Classic Sunday with two athletes, junior Logon Collins and junior Rocio Diaz, taking home the Mulcahy Sportsmanship Award.

The men’s doubles team started Friday with a 3-0 loss to rival Wisconsin-Madison with Collins and sophomore David Packowitz falling 8-5 in the No. 1 spot.

Later in the day, the men fell 4-3 to Ball State in singles play. Collins, sophomore Vukasin Teofanovic and freshman Javier Valera Hernani picked up the three wins for the Golden Eagles.

The women’s side had a better Friday, as the doubles team defeated Xavier 4-1 and the singles team scored a 4-2 win over Detroit.

Saturday morning saw the women drop a 2-1 decision to Western Michigan in doubles before defeating Xavier 5-3 in the singles round.

Collins picked up Marquette’s lone victory in a 5-1 singles loss to DePaul while the sophomore duo of Cameron Tehrani and James Stark scored a doubles win in a 2-1 loss to Ball State.

Collins and Teofanovic started off Marquette’s Sunday with a win in a 2-1 doubles loss to DePaul, while Detroit swept the women’s team in doubles.

Later the men dropped a 6-1 decision to Wisconsin with Stark picking up the only win, while sophomores Vanessa Foltinger and Ana Pimienta and freshmen Erin Gebes and Laia Hernandez Soler picked up wins for the women in a 5-2 victory over Western Michigan.