Alums start driving service

MYdriver, a designated driving service started by two Marquette alumni, is making it a lot easier to enjoy a night out on the town.

“You can use our services whenever,” Monica Kuhnert, Health Sciences ’07 and co-owner of MYdriver, said. “Whether you’ve been out partying with your friends or you’re just getting done with Happy Hour, we’re there.”

MYdriver offers a range of services that go beyond designated driving. Customers can opt to be picked up from their location and have their car dropped off at home, rent a driver or provide elderly relatives with transportation.

Kuhnert thought of the business after living in St. Louis, Mo., and becoming familiar with one of the city’s own services, ScooterGuy.

“Having grown up in Milwaukee – between all the festivals and Brewers games – it seemed liked the perfect place to start,” Kuhnert said.

Marcus Kuhnert, Engineering ‘10 and Monica’s brother, said he knew starting a business with his sister was a good idea.

“I’ve always wanted to start my own business,” Marcus said. “Now, six months later, it’s a reality.”

According to Marcus, MYdriver is geared toward working adults living in Milwaukee’s suburbs.

“A lot of people don’t realize that if you get a DUI, you could be stripped of your professional title, whether you’re a doctor, a lawyer or whatever else,” Monica Kuhnert said.

Marcus expects their business will achieve great success.

“We’re so much cheaper than renting a party bus or a limo,” he said. “It gives us a leg up on everyone else.”

Courtney Carter, a Carden Group Communications, LLC employee and public relations representative for MYdriver said the service deserves recognition.

“It’s a great service, and we need to get information out there for the people,” Carter said.

Kuhnert’s business is one of many that hopes to keep drunk drivers off the road. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation’s “Zero in Wisconsin” campaign encourages Wisconsin drivers to drive responsibly, in order to achieve zero deaths on Wisconsin roads.

“We want to get as many of these people off the streets,” Monica Kuhnert said. “No one ever realizes how that glass or two of wine affects them.”

With increased use of designated driving services, the Department of Transportation’s goal could be achieved.

“Our goal is to drastically reduce the number of people drinking and driving, as well as getting them and their cars home safely,” Marcus Kuhnert said.

Correction: An earlier version of this article stated that Monica Kuhnert graduated from the College of Arts & Sciences in 2007. She in fact graduated from the College of Health Sciences in the same year. The initial article also referred to the Kuhnerts’ service as MYDriver; it is in fact called MYdriver. The Tribune regrets the errors.