Reader’s Submission: Keep your mind open when it comes to morality

In a recent opinion piece titled “Maybe we’re the problem with sexual health,” sexual health was intelligently discussed in a Roman Catholic context. The article was well written and the author deserved having his opinion published for both its value and the quality of its presentation. While I respect his opinion, I found his article overstepped the right to religious freedom when he criticized people who have premarital sex for being “blind to the truth of Christ.”

For most people of European descent, sexuality and morality have been intertwined ever since the Bible required that Christians avoid “sexual immorality” (Acts 15:20). Marquette University obviously supports the opinion that prompted my response. You do not have to search the school’s website far to find messages advocating tolerance or advertising the diverse environment that is being cultivated. I have to ask, is a school that actively discourages differences of opinion on sexual health truly diverse?

Students are required at all times to adhere to the moral standards that the Bible sets forth. The policies of the residence halls are one clear example of this moral pressure, as was the firing of Jodi O’Brien, the openly gay college administrator and would-be-dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Did the definitions of tolerating diversity change, or is the school doing one thing and saying another?

There are plenty of denominations of Christianity that are accepting of contraceptives, homosexuals and other controversial issues surrounding sexual health. There are also 5 billion people in the world that have non-Christian conceptions of what it means to be a moral person. Where is the religious freedom that is guaranteed by the Constitution? If I don’t agree with Christianity, does the school have a right to ignore my opinions?

The following is quoted from the article that prompted this essay, “…questioning the Church’s teachings because they differ from our own desires reflects our lack of trust in God’s design of human sexuality.” I do not think this is a fair standard to put on people.  I have found that there is a rich diversity of views on sexual health and religion at this school. The author was violating the spirit of tolerance by applying a Christian moral framework to the actions of everyone in the student body.

When I filled out my application to come here there was no drop down window that asked me to read the Bible and check “I agree to the terms and conditions” before applying. Marquette can approach the issue however it wants, and students will continue to hump like, well, college students.

Either way, it is unfair to use a religion that not all students adhere to as the justification for a lack of attention to their sexual health. It’s like drinking between the ages of 18 and 21: if people do it regardless of the consequences, then perhaps it’s time to reconsider why they are there at all.

Ryan T. Brennan
Sophomore, College of Arts & Sciences