Golden Roses ceremony honors women working for a more inclusive campus

From the site, "A ceremony recognizing Marquette Women (employees and students) who positively contribute to the experiences of underrepresented students on Marquette’s campus." Photo courtesy of Carla Cadet.

Marquette’s Multicultural Affairs held its third annual Golden Roses ceremony last Thursday, which honors female members of the Marquette community who contribute to making Marquette more inclusive. The ceremony was held in the Haggerty Museum of Art.

In his address during the ceremony, Vice President for Student Affairs Chris Miller talked about how he has been influenced by women similar to those being honored.

“I think about how they have shaped and molded me just as you are shaping and molding students,” Miller said.

Carla Cadet, assistant dean for Multicultural Affairs, noted that the event coincided with March being Women’s History month. She said it is important that as Marquette seeks to become more inclusive, the university recognizes the staff who make that happen.

Cadet said there were over 60 nominees, including faculty, administrative and dining hall staff. Women from different academic colleges, Admissions, Residence Life, Sodexo, the Office of Student Development and Student Educational Services were honored.

Cadet said Multicultural Affairs started planning the event in October and opened up the nominating process in January. The nomination process ended in March prior to Spring Break.

Some nominees were nominated by their colleagues and students, Cadet said, sometimes even more than once by different students.

“I’m excited to see participation from those who nominated recipients,” Cadet said. “The support for women we’re recognizing says a lot about our campus.”

Jaqueline Walker, a financial aid counselor for the Educational Opportunity Program and one of the women honored, said it was a privilege to be recognized.

“I just want to let everyone know that as much as they think I give, I get it back,” Walker said.

Ri’ana Johnson, a student speaker at the event and president of the Black Student Council, said some of the women honored have affected her leadership.

“The support, knowledge and experiences given … is definitely a great asset to any student leader who wants to be effective and make a difference,” Johnson said.

Cadet said Golden Roses sends a distinct message.

“It may not be clear while they’re busy doing everyday work how they contribute to student life,” Cadet said. “We hope the ceremony highlights that. Looking at how many women were nominated is an example of how much influence and support on campus there continues to be.”