Marquette Men’s Lacrosse: Nobile made tough decision to leave deaf parents

Jerry Nobile is one of the older members of the men’s lacrosse team as a junior defenseman and will be bringing his experiences from Hofstra and head coach Joe Amplo to the up-and-coming program at Marquette.

His speed on the field has people turning heads, but it is his work and dedication to his parents that makes him the man he is today.

Nobile hails from the town of West Islip on Long Island, N.Y., where he said “people love lacrosse more than they like to eat and drink.” He played soccer more when he was younger but assimilated into the town’s culture by starting to play lacrosse as a sophomore in high school.

He went on to be named to the all-league team his senior year, but few colleges were ready to offer him a spot on their team until Amplo reached out to him to play for Hofstra. When his coach moved to Marquette, Nobile followed, bringing his talents to Milwaukee.

“Coach Amplo was the main reason I wanted to come. I think that speaks volumes about him,” Nobile said. “He’s very passionate about what he does, and I couldn’t see myself playing for anyone else but him.”

Nobile stayed close to home for two years at Hofstra because his whole life he took care of his two deaf parents by making phone calls for them and setting appointments. As the man of the house, he was the key to communication for his family.

“It hard to let go of that and have the strength to come to Marquette,” Nobile said. “All in all I’m happy, and my parents are proud of me.”

Nobile’s goals for himself at Marquette are to get stronger and improve his defense. His days at Hofstra had him weighing in at 170 pounds. After about a year of working with strength and conditioning coach Todd Smith, he’s at 200 pounds with the Golden Eagles.

He credits coach John Orsen, who also played under Amplo, as a big factor in understanding what to expect for on-ball defending. At the same time, Orsen likes the way Nobile stands out in his leadership around teammates.

“He’s dealt with a lot off the field, and that translates to on the field,” Orsen said. “He’s a leader out there and communicates very well with the defense.”

Amplo sees Nobile’s impact on the underclassmen not just on the field but in a classroom environment as well, just by selecting engineering as his major and challenging himself once again.

“Jerry is a hard worker in the classroom,” Amplo said. “He really grinds each day and that sets an example for the younger guys. Here’s a guy that’s going to put school first and then show up to a weight lifting session or practice and work as hard or harder than anybody.”

————————

Top Songs on Your iPod: “I’m going against my Long Island roots here and saying ‘Dirt Road Anthem’ by Jason Aldean and Taylor Swift’s ‘Mean.’”

Celebrity Look-A-Like: “My girlfriend’s mother once said I look like Sean Penn.”

People That Inspire You: “My parents, because of their situation and how strong they have been raising three decent-looking kids. Professionally, Michael Jordan. He’s been the most dominant athlete ever.”

Last Movie To Make You Cry: “Warrior. That UFC Fighting movie was a tear-jerker.”

Bucket List: 1. Skydive 2. Visit the Great Wall China 3. Backpack in Europe.

Celebrity Crush: Rachel McAdams and Carly Rae Jaspen.