Robbery at Wisconsin Ave bus stop

A robbery involving a woman not affiliated with Marquette occurred Sunday at approximately 6:30 p.m. at the bus stop on North 12th Street and West Wisconsin Avenue, in front of the Al McGuire Center and Cobeen Hall.

The victim, who was uninjured, was forced to give up her three Boston Store and Boost Wireless shopping bags after one of the two suspects pulled out a small handgun. Following the robbery, the suspects were reported heading west on West Wisconsin Avenue.

The suspects are described as two black males both between 5 feet 8 inches and 5 feet 9 inches tall. One of the suspects was wearing a black Pelle Pelle coat and a black baseball cap and had a Brewers ball and glove tattoo on his neck. The other suspect wore a black hooded sweatshirt with dark jeans and white shoes.

DPS officers were the first to respond to the incident after the department’s scanner listened in to the woman’s 911 call to MPD. Although DPS officers filed a report and released a public safety alert, the investigation itself will be left mostly to MPD. Marquette will assist by reviewing its security cameras for more evidence.

DPS Captain Russell Shaw said the incident’s relatively early time should serve as a reminder for students, who should not let their guard down at any time.

“We always have to be cognizant of our environment,” Shaw said. “I think we let our guard down just because of the time of day sometimes. We have students walking down the street after dark by themselves with their headphones on, listening to stuff and having no idea who’s around them. That’s always a concern and something students should be aware of.”