First primaries shrink Republican presidential field

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Rommney remains in the lead despite scrutiny from all sides. Photo courtesy Mittromneycentral.com

The 2012 Republican primary race heated up over break, with the candidate pool shrinking as former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney took his place as the de facto front-runner.

Romney’s status comes from his success in both contests held thus far. In Iowa on Jan. 3, Romney and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum both claimed victory in a virtual dead heat, with Romney beating Santorum by .1 percent. Then, in New Hampshire, Romney won the primary outright with 39 percent of the vote, beating second-place finisher Ron Paul who had 23 percent.

And despite a promising third-place finish in New Hampshire with 17 percent of the vote, Jon Huntsman, former Governor of Utah and ambassador to China under President Barack Obama, dropped out of the race Monday and endorsed Romney.

“It’s now time for our party to unite around the candidate best equipped to beat Barack Obama,” Huntsman said Monday at a news conference in South Carolina.

But even with Romney continuing to come out on top in primaries and other polls, the fluctuation in primary placings among candidates like Santorum, Paul and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich provide an insight into how conservative voters are still unsure of what they are looking for in a Republican presidential candidate.

Julia Azari, assistant professor of political science at Marquette, said that this may be because many Republicans are still uncomfortable with Romney as a nominee. Romney has been the recipient of scrutiny from conservatives because of “flip-flopping” on issues such as abortion and health care coverage, as well as being accused of being “out of touch” with the average American due to his wealth.

She added his successes in the primaries thus far still show him as the candidate to beat.

“Romney has won an unprecedented consecutive victory in Iowa and New Hampshire, which makes him look like a very strong candidate,” Azari said. “The party’s main bases of support rely on the South, and to some extent the noncoastal West, yet Iowa and New Hampshire may prove decisive in the nomination.”

The next primary will take place in South Carolina on Jan. 21.

“For any other candidate to have a chance, South Carolina will be crucial,” Azari said. “If one candidate can make a strong showing there and in later states, we might see an interesting battle.”

While Wisconsin will not hold its Republican presidential primary until April 3, groups in Milwaukee and throughout the state are already making plans for the race in the midst of Wisconsin’s recall elections.

Rick Baas, vice chair of the Republican Party of Milwaukee County, said Milwaukee Republicans will employ strategies they have relied on in the past to support conservative presidential candidates, including distributing yard signs and making phone calls to voters.

Baas added that despite being outnumbered in Milwaukee County, the Republican Party has gained ground in the past few election cycles and shown progress in developing their volunteer base. He said the Milwaukee Republicans are confident that Obama will be defeated in the presidential election.

As with the potential recall elections for Gov. Scott Walker, college students on campuses all over Wisconsin are expected to play an important role in activism for Republican candidates.

“There are college Republicans on many of the Wisconsin campuses,” Baas said. “Many of those students are already helping us gain ground.”

Ethan Hollenberger, chair of Marquette’s College Republicans, said that the organization plans to generate enthusiasm on campus throughout the race.

“The goal for the semester would be to have the (Republican) presidential nominee come to campus,” Hollenberger said. “We also hope to educate students about Obama’s failed policies. The campaign will then gear up in the fall.”