YAKOB: Take charge in the new year

One day we’ll close our eyes, open them, and realize it’s 2013. We’ll wonder what happened to 2012.

Our natural reaction to a new year is to feel that the old one slipped through our fingers. It’s just how our conception of time works. Then, we make new commitments for the current year, promising ourselves we won’t let this one get away.

As for me, my New Year’s resolution is to have a New Year’s resolution. See how that works? I’ll check that off right now.

I’m not sure how 2012 showed up so soon anyway, but if the world ends this year I actually want to have accomplished some meaningful things in my last days. Yet here’s the kicker: if the world doesn’t end, I think I’d still enjoy having a special 2012. I hope you do too.

So what does that take? I’m glad you asked.

It takes figuring out what you want, prioritizing and then getting after it. Hard.

Our motivations come and go, but our time — especially in college — is finite. This means we have to do more than just join the annual pack of people who flood the Rec Center during syllabus week only to fizzle out at the first sight of homework. That concept of motivation is nothing new, but neither is the discipline necessary to surpass that figurative first week.

If squeaking by doing the minimum is your modus operandi, that’s a shame. If not, join me and hope to have a bunch of meaningful experiences before you skedaddle.

Here are several things I promise you won’t regret doing before you graduate. Some of them will seem painfully obvious, but if you pretend that this is your first time hearing them, your ego won’t interfere with good advice.

Spend a summer in Milwaukee. This is a summer town, and there’s nothing like it. We always say being at college would be amazing if we didn’t have classes, so get a summer internship. But even if you take classes over the summer, it feels like you aren’t.

Take advantage of the lack of real world responsibility. Think of it this way: if you’ve always wanted to dye your hair platinum or something, you can do it now. You might not be able to do it later (if it looks awfully non-presentable for the real world).

Keep changing roommates. You learn a lot about yourself when you live with someone new, and that’s valuable. This doesn’t mean it’s bad to live with somebody for a long time, but doing so can make you feel too comfortable, for better or for worse. I can’t tell you how many times my roommate of three years has choke-slammed me in his imagination. I can tell you how many times he’s choke-slammed me in real life. It’s four.

Skip class when it just makes sense. If missing one class means you can study a little longer for a test you’re paranoid about, do it and don’t regret it.

Stay single. Time feels longer.

Explore a new interest/hobby. If there’s a subject you’ve always had a peculiar curiosity for, like astronomy or the Civil War, take a course in it even if it’s unrelated to your major. It’ll reinvigorate your thirst for learning, even for your major.

Study abroad. I didn’t get the chance to because I made up excuses why I couldn’t.

Talk to your professors. Don’t ever pretend that they’re out to get you. Go to their office hours “just because,” and you’ll see what I mean.

Read my column. Sometimes I’m serious, but mostly I just try to provide something that’s fun to talk about, and fun to read. I won’t be here in 2013, but remember, the only difference between 2012 and 2013 is this magic moment happens to be in 2012.

Ask yourself if it’s time to make the most of right now.