Dreaming of a White House Christmas

If you get a call from someone who says they’re from the White House, it’s probably just a lame middle school practical joke.

But for Mark Konewko, Marquette University’s chorus director, it was no joke at all – although he thought it was.

MU Chorus performs at last weekend's holiday concert. Photo by Aaron Ledesma/[email protected].

“(They answered) ‘This is the White House.’ With my tongue-in-cheek I asked, ‘What White House?’” Konewko said. “‘Where President Obama lives.’”

Konewko was floored. “Oh … This is the real White House!” Konewko said.

The call brought a formal invitation for Marquette’s chorus to sing festive songs during the holiday tours of the White House on Dec. 18. Konweko promptly accepted.

Dan Lappin, a senior in the College of Engineering, is heading to Washington, D.C. with the choir.

“Hopefully the Obamas will be there,” Lappin joked. “Well, no they won’t. It is still a great honor to be involved.”

Due to security and space limitations, only 30 choir members are able to perform in Washington, D.C. When 51 students applied to attend the trip, Konewko had difficult decisions to make.

“My selection was based on making a chorus that was homogenous and that blended beautifully together,” Konewko said.

Performing at the White House is not only a huge opportunity for the chorus, but for the expanding fine arts program as well. The recently started music minor offers lectures on electronic music, theory, discovery and music history.

While the music scene may not seem too prevalent on campus today, Marquette is embracing the university’s rich musical roots.

In 1912, Marquette’s College of Music introduced Liborius Semmann as the new dean. Semmann left a significant impact on Marquette’s musicians for composing “Hail, Alma Mater,” the school anthem most often heard playing in Marquette Hall’s bell tower and at basketball games. In the 1920s, Marquette’s College of Music had the largest enrollment of any college at Marquette.

Music enrollment drastically declined during the Great Depression, and the College of Music was forced to close in 1930.

However, this was not the end of music at Marquette. Marquette University Chorus still prevailed. Three years after the music department’s official end, MU Chorus performed at the historic World’s Fair in Chicago.

Konewko believes music is an integral part of Marquette’s Jesuit identity.

“The arts have been very strong in all Jesuit education. (Art) is a fundamental principle that Marquette adheres to,” Konewko said. “Music is emerging.”

MU Chorus sings a variety of types of music, from Renaissance to contemporary songs. Last year, the chorus sang many compilations by Eric Whitacre, music composer and conductor, in rehearsal, and traveled to Chicago in the spring to sing the pieces with Whitacre himself.

This was a highlight for chorus member Melissa Sowinski, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences. Whitacre is her favorite composer.

“He has complex chords that are really fun to sing. After meeting him, you really appreciate his music,” Sowinksi said.

Traveling and being able to perform in different venues created Lappin’s favorite MU Chorus memories. During his freshman year, Lappin sang at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. and at the International Cathedral during spring break of that same year.

Sowinski also enjoys traveling. She especially likes the MU Chorus retreats in Port Washington, Wis.

It can be difficult to know everyone in the chorus, as it is a large group. The full MU Chorus is divided into three ensembles: Chamber Choir, the University Men’s Chorus and the University Women’s Chorus.

The retreats provide ample bonding opportunities, along with time to rehearse.

“There are a lot of people involved, and we’re still getting new members.” Sowinski said. “I like the community of it.”

Community is a big part of Marquette’s music environment. MU Chorus has collaborated with other musical groups, such as Marquette Jazz Ensemble, Gospel Choir, Orchestra, Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble.

Konewko looks forward to rehearsing with his students for a democracy-themed concert next semester with the Wind Ensemble.

“They are wonderfully talented,” Konewko said.