Cozy up in Milwaukee’s many coffee houses

Patrons wait in line at Alterra at the Lake. Photo by Amanda Frank/ [email protected].

Coffee is an integral part of college culture. Cafés can often serve as a daily sanctuary for the busy student, a break from the world outside. When you want more than just the default campus options of the Brew and Starbucks, though, consider these off-campus options capable of satisfying any caffeine addict’s cravings.

Rochambo
1317 E. Brady St.

From the outside, the coffee shop and tea house blends into Brady Street’s artsy shops and quirky venues. But after stepping inside, Rochambo is hard to forget.

The shop’s setup is haphazard but endearing. Year-round Christmas lights, bright yellow walls, eclectic background music and mismatched furniture give the place a vibrant vibe. Paintings hang on the walls, messages are carved into wooden tables and flyers for local bands take up significant wall space.

Rochambo has a wide variety of tea, coffee and alcoholic beverages, including some international selections, and the staff is cheerful and knowledgeable about the different drink selections.

The friendly people set Rochambo apart from other coffee shops. The café has collected a set of regulars, who have built a strong sense of community.

Nico Eaglin, a sophomore in the College of Communication, is one of those Rochambo regulars. He said he continues to go back for the atmosphere and the characters he’s met at the shop.

“The people that you meet are very open to talk to you,” Eaglin said. “They’re not afraid to talk to people there.”

Rochambo brings in an assorted crowd. Trendy young artists, college students, business men and the elderly can all be found hanging out sipping drinks. On a recent trip to Brady Street, Eaglin met an economist writing for The New York Times.

“If you’re going for social, then Rochambo is the place to go,” Eaglin said.

Brewed Café
1208 E. Brady St.

The purple walls and soft music of Brewed Café perfectly match its environment: whimsical and relaxing.

The menu offers an array of espresso drinks to choose from, but only a small tea selection. The café’s main focus is on food. It offers many vegetarian options, and has won awards for its vegetarian chili. The meatless substitute is surprisingly hearty and filling.

The space lets in a lot of natural light from large windows, and old records cut into interesting patterns hang in the windows.

The walls have a lot of colorful variety without being overwhelming, with a painting hung every few inches on the walls, featuring local artists selling their works.

Brewed Café has an obvious emphasis on community and local art. Amy Svinicki, Brewed Café manager, said regulars come in every day.

“We have a little niche here on Brady Street. We’re really small and independent. That vibe comes off here,” Svinicki said.

Alterra at the Lake
1701 N. Lincoln Memorial Dr.

Alterra at the Lake is housed in a converted old water pump station from the 1800s. The old building is well preserved and has a distinct historic, yet trendy feel.

Old metal pipes cover the walls, but the old hardware does not seem out of place. There is an interesting mix between the shop’s soft yellow hues and harsh industrial lines. The decor feels cozy, especially as the weather gets colder.

Alterra serves a variety of specialty coffee, blended drinks, smoothies and a wide assortment of teas. The café puts more of an emphasis on food than typical coffee shops. Along with the usual baked goods, Alterra offers sandwiches, breakfast food and the occasional burrito.

Alterra has 10 additional locations throughout Milwaukee, and to-go coffee is sold for brewing at home.